FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Matt wrote:I think I might have finally had success with an explant.
Does that look like callus to anyone else?
I'm no TC expert, but that looks promising and exciting, Matt.

At least it's doing something (other than dying like all mine did, from over-sterilization). Good work! I'm sure you're happy and proud. :)

Regarding Cupped Trap, I recently bought several dozen young Cupped Trap Venus Flytraps from tissue culturer David Conner in California. I normally don't like "freaks" that seem like they would not live well in the wild, but David sent me a sample Cupped Trap with another order (for Sawtooth) and it kind of charmed me. It's weird and a freak--no doubt about that--but it's kind of a lovable freak with really unusual and notable characteristics: the diamond shaped petioles, the long neck between petiole and trap, and of course that weird-looking fused-end trap itself.

Steve
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:I'm no TC expert, but that looks promising and exciting, Matt.
I agree Steve! I'm really excited to see what it will do over the next few weeks.
Steve_D wrote:Regarding Cupped Trap, I recently bought several dozen young Cupped Trap Venus Flytraps from tissue culturer David Conner in California. I normally don't like "freaks" that seem like they would not live well in the wild, but David sent me a sample Cupped Trap with another order (for Sawtooth) and it kind of charmed me. It's weird and a freak--no doubt about that--but it's kind of a lovable freak with really unusual and notable characteristics: the diamond shaped petioles, the long neck between petiole and trap, and of course that weird-looking fused-end trap itself.

Steve
I also got my plants from David Conner. He has been very successful with his tissue culturing. I hope to follow in his footsteps.

Steve, your take on Cupped Trap is similar to mine. I really love the unique characteristics that it exhibits and it's one of my favorite plants. However, I do kind of like the "freaks" of the VFT world. I like any Dionaea that's unique or different in some way. I'd even like to get my hands on 'Wacky Traps' someday. I think we've discussed our differing opinions on the "freaks" before though.
By WORMSS
sorry, being very dense here...
but I can't see the 'promissing' bit??

but to be honest, i dont know what im looking for?
By hackerberry
Looks like it Matt, that's awesome! I hope it continues to multiply.

hb
By Matt
WORMSS wrote:sorry, being very dense here...
but I can't see the 'promissing' bit??

but to be honest, i dont know what im looking for?
If you look closely, you can see that the edges of the leaf are brown, but the middle is red and is starting to form new growth that looks lumpy. I think that's callus!
By linton
I think you're right - well done!
By Eric
Cool! Carolyn's flytrp is dividing and growing. O_o

Eric
By jkochuni
I think you have it! :D What was your sterilization process and medium formula?
By Matt
jkochuni wrote:I think you have it! :D What was your sterilization process and medium formula?
Thanks!

My media is:
  • 1/2 MS salts
  • 1ml PPM
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • pH 5.5
Sterilization went something like this:
  • Wash in soapy water
  • Rinse under running water for a while (30 minutes or more)
  • 10 second alcohol dip
  • 5 minutes in peroxide
  • 12 minutes in 10% bleach
  • 15 minutes in 2% PPM
  • 5 minute rinse in sterile water
By jkochuni
Hello Matt,

Thanks, and a couple questions. When you wash the tissue under running water do you use tap water, or water running from your RO system? I have not tried rinsing tissue under running water, and would like to try. I'm just afraid the running tap water would damage the tissue because of chlorine and etc. I wonder if it would be better to wash the tissue under running RO water, and then soak them in sterilized soapy water under the flow hood to reduce contamination? Also, do you put the tissue in a tea strainer when washing under running water, and during the final stage of sterilization do you rinse the tissue several times in different sterile water containers or do you rinse them just once? Wow, that was a lot of questions...

Process I might try...
* Rinse under running RO water for a while (30 minutes or more)
* Wash in sterile soapy water under flow hood
* rinse in water
* 10 second alcohol dip
* 5 minutes in peroxide
* 12 minutes in 10% bleach
* 15 minutes in 2% PPM
* 5 minute rinse in three separate sterile water containers
By Matt
I rinse the tissue under tap water. I don't think that the chemicals in the tap water could cause any damage to the tissue by running water over it for an hour or so. I don't use a tea strainer, but rather I use a mason jar with cheese cloth over the top and screwed down with the open lid. Then I place it in the sink under the faucet and just let the water run.

I don't normally rinse the tissue several times in sterile water, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. Also remember, that I've probably put over 100 pieces of tissue into cultures and I've only had about 5 of them "take", so take my advice and techniques for what they're worth.

From what I know of tissue culture, the steps you lay out for the process you're going to try should work. Definitely keep us posted on your successes and failures.
By jkochuni
You are probably right. I'll be starting to tissue culture again after the flow hood is constructed. Thanks for the tips, and I'll keep you updated.
By Matt
Oh, also remember that the type of tissue and where it's been growing are very important. It's best to harvest tissue from plants that have been growing in a terrarium or indoors. Also, you should only take newly formed tissue. Tissue that's still developing is the best. I've had the best luck sterilizing flower stalks. I didn't have many of those to work with a few weeks ago, but recently a lot have come up and I've sacrificed several of them for TC. They've been in cultures now for 3 weeks and they are still green, so I'm sure they'll take eventually.
1637 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

May bonus

For May, it's going to be a carbon copy of April, […]

Flower stalks for sale

Updated list.

Anything I can do? How much light? Water, leave ba[…]

From my personal experience, I would not order fro[…]

Infact I just went to check on them and it looks l[…]

recently split a flytrap and the smaller one I got[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!