FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
This is an update of the seedlings that I that I posted about here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =28&t=1451
I replated them on June 14th and shortly after that, one of them started putting up a flower stalk. I don't have them on any kind of PGRs, so it's kind of crazy to see a 3 month old seedling putting up a flower stalk.
Flower stalk on 3 month old seedling
IMG_5594.JPG (60.1 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
IMG_5596.JPG (84.45 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
All of these seedlings are from seed that I got from Steve from last year's harvest. I just put the fresh seed that Steve sent me into cultures on Tuesday of this week, so hopefully I'll see some germination from those in 10 days or so. I'm excited to see what percentage of the "All Red" mix seeds produce red plants.
By lemonlily
That looks like fun. Is it actually normal for it to happen? And can it actually produce seeds? Do you need to change the container or do you just leave it? It looks crammed.
By Matt
I don't honestly know if it's normal for that to happen. I kind of think not because out of the 100+ seedlings, that's the only one that's done it. I don't think it will produce seed, but it might if I actually pollinate it which I have not plans of doing.

They are all very crammed in there. I just put them in and I was trying to save on space, so it's kind of cramped. Once I move out to Oregon in a month or so, I'll replate them and give them more room.
By lemonlily
Thanks Matt. Maybe you could try pollinating it. That would be awesome! But if you think it might ruin the others, of the stalk itself, you play it by ear.

Yeah, try and give them lots more room because the plants in Tissue Culture grow a lot faster. And you have a lot of plants in there too!
By Matt
hackerberry wrote:Matt, I think it's time to divide and replate ;) .
Hah, I know right? I've got them packed in there like sardines. I kind of like looking at them like that though. It looks like a carpet of VFTs.
By lemonlily
Maybe not too close, right? I see some parts of the plant growing into the media.
By lemonlily
Oh, I never knew that! You mean if you planted it in peat moss, some traps grow into the soil?
By lemonlily
Oh, okay.

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

You are spot on with your own points.rubra rubra s[…]

I am definitely not with it today I can’t fi[…]

Early requests are not allowed, you'll need to mak[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!