FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrapper1392
Now I didn't see this anywhere else on this forum but anyways, I think on one website I heard about it. They said you can take a rhizome on the plant and actually break it in half. Then soak them in water and eventually pot them. i noticed that this was different from leaf pullings, but similar, so I was wondering if it would work. Thanks :)
By kylsav
i don't think that's the idea of cloning the plant. U separate the plant when it has formed into 2 plants or more on its own. Simply ripping the rhizome in half i would could harm the plant and really stress it if not kill it completely :c. Id get a conformation on this but that's just what id think.
kylsav liked this
By jwbates26
In my opinion, taking a plant and breaking the rhizome in two is just like taking a leaf pulling. Just a really big leaf pulling... I've done this with great success. I just make sure that both plants have a sufficent amount of roots and then plant them like I would any other division. Breaking them apart hasn't shown any harm to the plant. The only thing I've notice is the growth has slowed just like it would if I repotted a plant.
jwbates26 liked this
By Veronis
This is true. Take a look at this point to see photos of flytraps whose rhizomes are and are not ready to be split in half:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/are-t ... ns#p134397

This is called dividing a flytrap. As a flytrap grows, so will its rhizome. At certain points in a flytrap's life cycle, its rhizome will literally self-divide and offshoot new plants. These two separate plants will remain connected at the rhizome and grow side-by-side, and will only look like multiple plants to an experienced grower. Several divisions can occur in a single season in some cases.

When unpotted, a full division is any rhizome that has a) More than one growth point, and b) Each connected rhizome has its own root system, whereas if you split the rhizome in half, each rhizome has roots. We call this process "dividing a flytrap"; this language can be confusing, since we are basically dividing a divided flytrap. ;)

Here is an instructional video regarding how to perform a division of a "divided" flytrap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3oSsdAVcU
Veronis liked this
Smartest or bravest spider?

Looks like a Anole. How can you tell? I don'[…]

howdy!

Welcome to the forum. We all have different inter[…]

Red meat viability claims

Nah, that'll kill your plants. Politicians are f[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

Thanks for all the advice! I will repot in peat/pe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!