FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By LazyDaisy
I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on how to mix it. Reading the safety sheet on that stuff was a bit intimidating so getting some input on how others go about it would be very helpful! :oops:

One of my main issues is I don't have many plants and they're almost all little babies, so I don't need to mix very much. Is there a reliable way to measure out a small amount? Can I use a simple spray bottle from the grocery store to spray them with for said small batch? I'm also concerned I'll still have some left over after spraying my plants and I'll have no way to safely discard it since it won't keep after a few days. Any and all advice is very appreciated.
By ChefDean
From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per gallon of water. It's good stuff, plus it isn't great for other critters, so you don't need it too concentrated.
Mix up a gallon, keep it in a dark, cool place like your garage, and transfer to a spray bottle to apply weekly. Wear gloves. Spray from upwind. Get all surfaces of the plant, especially under the leaves. Wash your hands and arms thoroughly after use.
By LazyDaisy
ChefDean wrote:From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per gallon of water. It's good stuff, plus it isn't great for other critters, so you don't need it too concentrated.
Mix up a gallon, keep it in a dark, cool place like your garage, and transfer to a spray bottle to apply weekly. Wear gloves. Spray from upwind. Get all surfaces of the plant, especially under the leaves. Wash your hands and arms thoroughly after use.
I keep reading online that, after it has been mixed, it should be used within 24-48 hours. So the effectiveness has proven to last longer after being mixed?
By ChefDean
I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine sealed in my dark garage and it seems to have an efficacy much longer than 48 hours. I'm sure it will lose some potency as time goes on, but as long as I can smell the medicine, I'm sure it will still work to some degree.
Maybe find a way to measure out 1/16 of a teaspoon and only mix a quart at a time.
andynorth, LazyDaisy liked this
By andynorth
ChefDean wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:06 pm Maybe find a way to measure out 1/16 of a teaspoon and only mix a quart at a time.
These work great. I bought just for that reason. I do not need a gallon of the stuff sitting around so a small quart bottle works really good.
https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Stainl ... r=8-8&th=1
wcrosman, LazyDaisy liked this
By LazyDaisy
andynorth wrote:
ChefDean wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:06 pm Maybe find a way to measure out 1/16 of a teaspoon and only mix a quart at a time.
These work great. I bought just for that reason. I do not need a gallon of the stuff sitting around so a small quart bottle works really good.
https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Stainl ... r=8-8&th=1
Oh, this is a great idea! I had no idea they made measuring spoons so small. :D Thanks, gentlemen!
andynorth liked this
Results of self pollinating?

That's actually a decent size for an ovary, so I w[…]

Where is the cheapest place to buy pots

Hi all! I just ran out of large pots for my sarra[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Catching the Nep fever

Surprisingly, I have never really put effort into […]

Hello from the California!

Wow! this forum has an amazing set up for seeds! I[…]

April 2024 Photo Contest - Stuck on You

Much thanks to Optique and what an incredible, hea[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!