FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By SFLguy
So I just checked and apparently pings will produce seeds from self pollination just a lot less, and they'll usually be less healthy
SFLguy liked this
By tish
For references
tish wrote:My knowledge and experience in my grow area tells me not to let the crown get too wet. As long as the roots and root hairs are established in the soil medium, everything should be ok for the root (i have not try water log conditions). If the roots are disturbed, then it depends on how much was disturbed resulting how much the plant decline and how well it recovers later. Roots takes time to seek for space and resources to establish themselves in the soil. So once disturbed, they have to start the process all over again, perhaps sacrificing the parts above soil level to conserve more energy below. For Cephalotus, I guess they are more sensitive...

We always see pitcher looks good and green but out of a sudden, when the pitcher dies together, the whole plant is almost dead at crown level, my observation tells me that the pitcher was able to last longer than the stem and crown and maybe even roots because the pitcher holds some water inside. It is always one of the last to rot and die resulting people like us to noticed too late.

Sorry if I speak to much off my mind :D Let's watch a 1 hour show then...

Probably a good video guide on Minds of plants...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeX6ST7rexs[/youtube]
tish liked this
By tish
Long stories here, because I've been holding back taking photos. And the reason is because I have been taking photo :D Confusing is it? I have been avoiding my grow rack because I am attempting another project with my DSLR. I wanted to start earlier but the power supply blow, so the new one came 2 weeks ago :D which is why I have not been updating much.

I have bought 2 package of seeds and I set had arrived on 19 jan. I only potted them up an hour ago. Checked that these no need cold stratification.

Drosera Intermedia (EM Pond) - 4 seedlings grew a little more, the seed pot is still in fridge for 2 more weeks of cold stratification. These 4 were awesome, they didn't need Stratification.

Drosera Natalensis - Cool plants traded locally and found out they came from Natch :D

Drosera Burmannii (Humpty Doo) Getting pinkish but it's still very small

Drosera Filiformis - locally traded, these strikes has grown so much. Like a silhouette :)

Pinguicula Moranensis Hybrid - An emergency of a new flower stalk, The last 2 flower pollination has failed big time. Will keep trying to pollinate.

Nepenthes Gracilis - Seedlings getting bigger.

Heliamphora Minor - The new pitcher looks different...

Drosera Indica (Pale pink flower) - these sundew from david F are turning into star fish!

Drosera Marston Dragon - new strikes, 2 for now, more to come.

Dionaea Muscipula - Mix clones set 01 (Low Giant, Crossed teeth, Low Petioles, XL CLone)

Dionaea Muscipula - Mix clones set 02 (Red Piranha, Dingley Giant, Shark teeth)
tish, tish, tish liked this
By tish
I noticed the flower was abit off last week. It was not normal flower but perhaps stress has cause this. Anyway, here's pictures.

EDIT: Usually there is only 5 petals, 1 spur, 1 anther? 1Stigma? But here, there is 2 spur join together, i think there is more than 1 stigma ad 1 anther

Last week. Additional petals, i proceed to hand pollinate

Today...
Last edited by tish on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
By tish
Heliamphora Minor. The new pitcher has outgrown all...

Drosera Indica. Stretching wide open...

Cephalotus Follicularis. The one below is requesting for more head room.

The strike. I'm quite sure this one has been here for at least 3 month....
tish liked this
By tish
My friend and I had this order planned since end Nov 2014, after many mails and certifications finalizing in mid of Dec. These plants came 2 days ago. My friend had all VFT and I didnt because I want to see how my current vft do before I attempt more. So I mainly had other general CP

My order came but missing a Pinguicula. There were Cephalotus and Queensland varient Drosera.

Took me a while to pot them up, the plants don't look as healthy as my last order from them. Perhaps due to winter.

Cephalotus - There were 2 small plant and 1 tiny. I've decided to pot them all up in LFS/perlite, topped with sand as I hate how algae spread like butter ontop of dead sphagnum.

Here comes all my Queenland sisters... Sitting all in the same shelf. All in bottom LFS/perlite and top half in Live sphagnum.

Drosera Aelae - The easy going sister, has done her utmost best to get bronze-red and dewy. Thank my friend Clayton for trading this wonderful plant with my Parrot Sar.

Drosera Prolifera - The bearable sister. She can tolerate warm and cold. I am confident my 90F temperature is ok for her.

Drosera Schizandra - The shrew sister. Picky on temperature and maybe lights. This one worries me most...

"Drosera adelae likes hot and humid....Drosera schizandra hates hot but demands humid. The available clones of Drosera prolifera like warm and humid but tolerate cool." -- John Brittnacher (posted on ICPS) - summerized by Cindy

Currently, the new plants are being bagged up for high humidity and placed at low light and low heat for recovery from transport.

Back to my current plants:

Cephalotus has stable and is putting up many tiny ones...

Even the root produce plantlets, do I cut it off now or wait out?

Drosera Burmannii (Humpty Doo) - Can't resist taking a photo of this beauty :)

The last VFT orders, had their cover removed and is showing some signs of new growth and looks stable.

Dionaea Muscipula Funnel Trap - So far still not funnel shape but still like this
tish liked this
By tish
There were so many pitcher coming from the Heli, I've decided to make a time lapse on it. Aiming at the biggest pitcher coming up at that time, unfortunately it was't an adult pitcher yet.... At least we can withness 2 pitcher opening up at the beginning...

Best watch in full screen and full HD (option found at bottom right of youtube player)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s3CudmU3yI[/youtube]
By tish
Alright, been tired recently after all the chores for Lunar New Year preb. Finally have time to consolidate the photos and here are the very heavy updates...

Cephalotus - A pitcher grew under my nose and is yellow! I dont know if it has been yellow all the while or it had turned from green to yellow. Anyway here's pic (or you'll say it didn't happen)

And here is my 1 and only successful Ceph leaf strike, I forgot whom I followed the method, but it was to insert the leaf at leas half way down into the soil. So excited over it

And for the 3 Queensland's Sisters, I'm glad schizzy and prolifery are stabilizing. I am slowly removing the bag for to let it get used to my room humidity.

D. Adelae - Has 2 little ones but they look different!

D. Schizandra - So far so good, some leaf has dews

D. Prolifera - Doing good so far, also has some dew

Nepenthes Gracilis seedlings - I think 1 has 3 tiny pitchers!

D. Capensis (Compact Rosette) seedling - Many germinateions

D. Capensis (White flower) seedlings - Many germination

D.intermedia (Big Audrey) seedlings - Many germination

D. Nidiformis seedlings - Many germination

D. Natalensis seedlings - Many germination

D. Intermedia (EM Pond) - these 4 are getting bigger

D. Natalensis (Natch Greye) - trade off a friend

D. Filiformis - getting red all over, nice!

D. Indica (ping flower) - from David F. Getting bigger as well

Darlingtonia - Is getting a little burnt or the old pitcher is dyying off. I hope the later.

Heliamphora Minor - still putting out new pitchers

P . Moranensis Hybrid - Has put out many diversions. Is it getting crowded in there...

All the VFT has grown, they are already off the cover and looks like they can thrive afterall

DM Dingleys Giant

DM Low Giant

DM Shark teeth - the most vigorous growth here

DM Red Piranha

DM Long petioles

DM XL CLone
tish liked this
By tish
Keep the text short and the pictures coming...

Sphagnum moss, I think the first one is a red varient?!

In a different lighting

Nepenthes and a shell-less snail?

D. Schizandra

D. Prolifera

D. Adelae - Many photos

tish, tish liked this
By tish
The little VFT seedlings, some were growing well and some passed on, some looks like they recover from damage. Well as the saying goes, some seedlings die along the way, I wasn't ready for that to happen. They were in peat mix. And I'd seen small stuff crawling around, I plan to stick the seedlings in fresh media of LFS/perlite and top dress with Live sphagnum. Seems to work magic on my other VFT.

1 good example was the Funnel trap, it didn't grow very vigorous but it has thrive over my 20+ dead vft. I shall try to stick to this recipe for VFT.

Flytrapcare's Mix seeds grown : Look at the rhizome. These germinated approx 3rd Aug, it's been 6 over months. About time for a transplant.

Potted them up, VFT mix seedlings

FTC's VFT Red mix seedlings
tish, tish liked this
By tish
Pinguicular Moranensis Hybrid - This diversion out of the big clumps turns out to be the most beautiful of the lot.

Nepenthes Gracilis seedling, has like 4 pitcher already, are they even call pitchers?!

Darlingtonia California : These 3 are still doing ok!

tish, tish liked this

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE sent on Thursday, sorry I completely spaced i[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1676. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!