FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By tish
There is 1 Drosera I keep in my office, it's growing very slow. While the other tokaiensis has grow very big, I given many away.

While all the others were green, this particular one remains small and to the point of ....RED!

Drosera Tokaiensis
By tish
I love Cephalotus, beautiful and yet sensitive, slow growth and yet amazing!

So I thought I share some photos of a little time piece of my ceph here.

09 April 1236hrs

13 April 1329hrs

13 April 1353hrs

20 April 1419hrs

20 April 1534hrs

01 May 2142hrs
tish, tish liked this
By coline
I just would really love to live 400m higher to have cooler temps to have them doing great (or well, have some space at my high house to have some there!)
By coline
Precisely, that is why people always have red heliamphoras and I have green ones.
At higher elevations you get more sunlight but lower temperatures, so that makes a supossed higher photosinthetic rate, but as the temperatures are lower, that rate cannot go up with the sun uptake, and that ends up on the need in the plants to make anthocianins to protect themselves against too much sun, other protections involve a thicker cuticle to filter sunlight.
And this means, that, I having a little less sunlight, but higher temperatures, plants that live in colder places would need more sunlight to compensate the higher metabolism, and as that is not possible due to genetic regulations, they become green as trying to get as much sun as possible to try to have the balance they had in a mountain.
Some plants die due to stress on the process by not being able to addapt to the fast rate of growth needed.
Summary: in cold+less light→red obtained in heat+much more light→red obtained or death and heat=more growth cold=slower growth

I have personally and 3º personally see and heard it. VFT plants just 300m above my house get red and really nice, clumpy as any tropical VFT, but they do grow really nicely. D. capensis is 1/3 bigger and so with tokaiensis, N. ventricosa grows faster (weird, maybe the less stress it has). And some say they even have had VFT seed formation.
By tish
Wow Coline,

I didn't know that, I just heard from another forum about colder temp gives ceph a change in color too. Seems like my place and your place are not ideal to get nice coloration. Coz here is so hot!
By tish
Here's couple of photos I've taken for the month of May.

Cephalotus

D. Brevifolia

D. Paleacea ssp. Roseana

DM. Bohemian Garnet

DM. Wacky Trap

DM. Pink Venus, looks like it was in dormant when it arrived, a new trap has grown after a couple of weeks.

Typical VFT, looks like a ghost fish or some kinda Cp'tian hook's hook :D
tish liked this
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!