FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By BobGrill
First, if there is already a currently active thread like this, can someone please close this one and redirect me to it or maybe merge this post with it?

I own 3 cats and I also keep tarantulas. The species I own are:

Togo starburst Baboon (H. maculata)
Not my pic. Mine is very secretive and hard to get a pic of at the moment.
Not my pic. Mine is very secretive and hard to get a pic of at the moment.
H.maculata1.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
Indian Ornamental (P. regalis)
pokie regalis.jpg
pokie regalis.jpg (134.33 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
Metallic Pink Toe (A. metallica)
toes.jpg
toes.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
Chilean Rose Hair (G. rosea)
ch.jpg
ch.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
Green Bottle Blue (You're crazy if you expect me to type out the Latin name for this one!)
Still a baby
Still a baby
gbb sling 2.jpg (72.36 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
Here's a few pics in order of the species listed.
BobGrill, BobGrill liked this
By Jaws
Great spiders, i cant match them.

I have a tank of African Velvet slugs though lol, ill get some pics taken (they are well cool looking (for slugs))
By BobGrill
I recently acquired an OBT (Orange baboon), Venezuelan Suntiger, and an Antilles Pink toe. I'll get pictures once they get bigger, as they're all wee little things right now.
By happiness
I never knew there were different types of tarantulas :shock:

Do they bite at all? The white one is very beautiful.
By BobGrill
There's over 800 species of tarantula actually.

And in order for me to answer that question regarding if they bite, I must first explain something. There are two main types of tarantulas, new worlds and old worlds. New worlds are native to North, Central, and South America. These are usually considered to be more docile and would most likely try to run and hide when threatened, and also have weak venom. They are armed with special hairs on their abdomens called uricating hairs which have tiny microscopic barbs on them. When threatend the tarantula will either brush off or kick off these hairs towards an attacker. If stuck in the skin, they can cause some pretty intense irritation and itching. This is the main form of defsense for most new worlds. There are exceptions to this rule, but as said before, they are generally more docile. Old worlds on the other hand are for experienced keepers only. They are found in Africa, Asia, and Australia, and are generally very fast-moving, have very strong venom, and are quick to react to threats in a very defensive manner. They lack the uricating hairs of the new worlds, so their only form of defense when cornered is to bite. Keep in mind these are just general guidelines and that behavior varies from one individual to another. That being said, any tarantula is capable of biting if it feels threatened, but only a handful are likely to. Hope this helps :)
By Jaws
Someone i know recently got bit by one of his, the size of the puncture holes slightly shocked me.
The dark area is a tattoo :p

By parker679
Awesome T's Bob, I'm jealous.

I don't have pics to post but I have:

Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes)
Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eater (Lasiodora parahybana)
And
Chilean Rose Hair - RCF (Grammostola rosea)

The chaco I got a sling(baby) about 6-7 years ago. The other two I received as slings about 8 months ago. They were both the same size when they arrived(about half an inch across) now the bird-eater is maybe 4 times the size of the rose hair.

In the past I've had a typical pink toe(very sweet spiders), a golden starburst tarantula (very mean), and an other baboon tarantula but I can't remember which one specifically (would jump and the walls of the enclosure if you got too close).

I also have a Black Mexican Kingsnake and a Pueblan Milk Snake.
By BobGrill
parker679 wrote:Awesome T's Bob, I'm jealous.

I don't have pics to post but I have:

Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes)
Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eater (Lasiodora parahybana)
And
Chilean Rose Hair - RCF (Grammostola rosea)

The chaco I got a sling(baby) about 6-7 years ago. The other two I received as slings about 8 months ago. They were both the same size when they arrived(about half an inch across) now the bird-eater is maybe 4 times the size of the rose hair.

In the past I've had a typical pink toe(very sweet spiders), a golden starburst tarantula (very mean), and an other baboon tarantula but I can't remember which one specifically (would jump and the walls of the enclosure if you got too close).

I also have a Black Mexican Kingsnake and a Pueblan Milk Snake.
Nice. Pink toes are awesome tarantulas. They're usually really docile as well, and one of the few I'll actually handle with my bare hands when I have to remove it from the enclosure to do some sort of maintenance. My golden starburst (I prefer calling them OBTs) is still tiny and is just very skittish right now. However, I'm sure in time it will start to gain its infamous attitude.
By parker679
Yeah, I remember how I got my first pink toe my freshman year of college, it was my first T. Then I read that unlike most tarantulas they can be communal in a large enough enclosure. So I got a second one and put them both in a 20 gallon tank. Came in the next day and I was back down to one....that was the last time I tried communal tarantulas.

The OBT was my favorite, by far the prettiest I've owned. I wish I could remember what the other baboon T was because that sucker was mean.

Seeing your spiders makes me want another one, that togo starburst looks really nice.

Also, I lied. I found the sticker that came on the Chaco's dixey cup when I got it and she is actually 9 years old.
By BobGrill
Yeah the Togo Starburst is somewhat of a pet hole though, so you may not see it a whole lot. Just an FYI.

Also @Jaws, do you know what species that person was working with and how they got bitten? I'm sort of curious.
By Zombie_walker
I have 2 Reptiles and 1 Scorpion
My baby ball python, My boyfriend calls him Ekans (like the Pokémon) because I'm so indecisive when it comes to names
My baby ball python, My boyfriend calls him Ekans (like the Pokémon) because I'm so indecisive when it comes to names
Ekans (1280x1280).jpg (220.1 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
My Bearded Dragon, looking quite menacing of course
My Bearded Dragon, looking quite menacing of course
Naptime.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
and my newest addition. An Asian Forest Scorpion
and my newest addition. An Asian Forest Scorpion
Scorpion.JPG (60.52 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
By BobGrill
Nice man. Asian forest scorpions, though more feisty, are in my opinion a more interesting beginner scorpion than emperors. Nice reptiles also.
BobGrill liked this
By parker679
BobGrill wrote:Yeah the Togo Starburst is somewhat of a pet hole though, so you may not see it a whole lot. Just an FYI.

Also @Jaws, do you know what species that person was working with and how they got bitten? I'm sort of curious.
Thanks, good to know.

Where do you get your spiders if you don't mind me asking?
By BobGrill
I've ordered from a few different online breeders including Ken the Bug Guy, Pet Center USA, and Swifts Inverts.
BobGrill liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!