FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Luchiano
Good day! I'm going to just get straight to it, the internet does not have much straight-forward info on Carnivorous plant potting medium. I was wondering if you could use just straight dried sphagnum moss or straight peat moss for plants such as Sundew, nepenthes, ceph(maybe not ceph?), heliamphora. Otherwise, what would be some good alternative for each plant species? Thanks guys, much appreciation :)
By erikHIplants
Luchiano wrote:Good day! I'm going to just get straight to it, the internet does not have much straight-forward info on Carnivorous plant potting medium. I was wondering if you could use just straight dried sphagnum moss or straight peat moss for plants such as Sundew, nepenthes, ceph(maybe not ceph?), heliamphora. Otherwise, what would be some good alternative for each plant species? Thanks guys, much appreciation :)
Dried sphagnum is doable depending on species, however dried peat would be come too dense and not allow for drainage. Each species of carnivorous plant will have its own preferable media type. Can't just pick a one fits all, you'll have to do the research for each genus and species of plant you want to grow.

Having the same humid Hawaii climate like I do, best to use a minimum 50:50 peat/perlite or peat/silica sand. Case in point, I received a potted pinguicula from california carnivores, I immediately rotted the roots within a week because the peat held too much moisture with added humidity. I repotted to a sandier mixture and it is doing much better.
By Luchiano
erikHIplants wrote:
Luchiano wrote:Good day! I'm going to just get straight to it, the internet does not have much straight-forward info on Carnivorous plant potting medium. I was wondering if you could use just straight dried sphagnum moss or straight peat moss for plants such as Sundew, nepenthes, ceph(maybe not ceph?), heliamphora. Otherwise, what would be some good alternative for each plant species? Thanks guys, much appreciation :)
Dried sphagnum is doable depending on species, however dried peat would be come too dense and not allow for drainage. Each species of carnivorous plant will have its own preferable media type. Can't just pick a one fits all, you'll have to do the research for each genus and species of plant you want to grow.

Having the same humid Hawaii climate like I do, best to use a minimum 50:50 peat/perlite or peat/silica sand. Case in point, I received a potted pinguicula from california carnivores, I immediately rotted the roots within a week because the peat held too much moisture with added humidity. I repotted to a sandier mixture and it is doing much better.
Great! Thanks :) I'll be using peat/perilite and peat/silica sand for my coming ceph. I hear most neps can grow fine in sphagnum moss too?
By erikHIplants
Luchiano wrote:
erikHIplants wrote:

Great! Thanks :) I'll be using peat/perilite and peat/silica sand for my coming ceph. I hear most neps can grow fine in sphagnum moss too?
Yes i'm sure it would but you would have to ask the nep growers of the forums as I do not grow any.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
For neps, helis, and some tropical urics, I use a mix of lfs and lava rock or just pure lfs. For vfts I use a sand peat mix, and Sarrs, I use pure peat or lfs. My ceph mix is 1/2 sand and 1/2 peat, but I usually add a bit mor sand, so it's more like 3/5 sand and 2/5 peat
By Luchiano
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:For neps, helis, and some tropical urics, I use a mix of lfs and lava rock or just pure lfs. For vfts I use a sand peat mix, and Sarrs, I use pure peat or lfs. My ceph mix is 1/2 sand and 1/2 peat, but I usually add a bit mor sand, so it's more like 3/5 sand and 2/5 peat
Ah thanks! I appreciate it :) Do you think I could use pure lfs for sundew as well?
By erikHIplants
Luchiano wrote:
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:For neps, helis, and some tropical urics, I use a mix of lfs and lava rock or just pure lfs. For vfts I use a sand peat mix, and Sarrs, I use pure peat or lfs. My ceph mix is 1/2 sand and 1/2 peat, but I usually add a bit mor sand, so it's more like 3/5 sand and 2/5 peat
Ah thanks! I appreciate it :) Do you think I could use pure lfs for sundew as well?
Yes I use pure LFSM on my spatulata sundews.
By Luchiano
erikHIplants wrote:
Luchiano wrote:
Yes I use pure LFSM on my spatulata sundews.
Great! And pure lfsm works for any Sundew (drosera capensis in particular), should I add perlite or is it good alone?
By Luchiano
Benurmanii wrote:
Luchiano wrote:Great! And pure lfsm works for any Sundew (drosera capensis in particular), should I add perlite or is it good alone?
D. capensis likes a dense media. I have found it prefers peat mixes of lfs.
Would you say peat and perlite or sand? :)
By Benurmanii
Luchiano wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:
Luchiano wrote:Great! And pure lfsm works for any Sundew (drosera capensis in particular), should I add perlite or is it good alone?
D. capensis likes a dense media. I have found it prefers peat mixes of lfs.
Would you say peat and perlite or sand? :)
Doesn't matter which, any will do. My best ones are in a 50/50 mix of peat and pumice (which is not really different from perlite except that it is heavier).
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!