FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By swerfer
Hi,

I still have some questions I can’t find a straight answer to. It is about the GA3 stratification. I researched various sites on what concentration to use for the seed-soak, and found some contradictions. What concentration is best for the GA3 soak for Dionaea seeds? Some say 100-250 ppm, and others say 500-550 ppm. What is best? For the GA3 soak I want to make 2 mL, how much mg of GA3 must be used for the correct ppm? I have some solid high purity GA3, the official working concentration is between 0.01-10mg/L, but this is probably in growth medium.

Furthermore I have a question on the MS-media. I got some non-commercial MS media in powder form. It was made by someone working in a plant-lab, who makes her own Murashige & Skoog. Does anyone know how much mg or gram of MS is needed to make a 100 % MS media of 1L? From the 100% MS I want to make a 1/3 MS. The person who made this, usually makes larger amounts of media, so she could not provide me with the answer.

My last question is about the NaDCC, I got some NaDCC tablets. How can I use these to sterile the plant-leaves or seeds? Which concentration is needed for sterilisation and can I use NaDCC as part of the media (1L) for optimal anti micro bacterial/ anti fungus condition of the growth media, without killing the plantlets? If so how much mg or gram of NaDCC can be used in 1 L of growth media? Can NaDCC also be autoclaved?

hope soneone can help me on my way.

Regards,

Youri, the Netherlands
By Matt
Youri,

Dionaea seeds do not need to be soaked in GA3.
swerfer wrote:Does anyone know how much mg or gram of MS is needed to make a 100 % MS media of 1L?
4.33g of MS powder makes 1L of 100% MS media.
swerfer wrote:I got some NaDCC tablets. How can I use these to sterile the plant-leaves or seeds?
Sorry, I've never used NaDCC, so I can't answer that one. I don't think you're going to want to autoclave it though.
By snapperhead51
NaDCC works well , its Miltion nappysan essentially, virtually buy it in any supermarket or dug store or chemist ., comes in 50 gm tablets , a 50 gm tablet dissolved into 1 Lt sterile water , and soak the seed up to 20 hrs will do the same as a 6 min soak in 10% bleach , I dont usually have the time so use the 10% bleach . with both use double sterile rinse off best .
J
By Frankco
Hi Swerfer,

I'll just pop in and add that you cannot autoclave NaDCC.

If you add it to media you should wait until the media has cooled to 40 C or 104 F. Any hotter an it will deactivate too much of the chlorine in NaDCC.

The amount that Dr. AJ Sayegh, who co-published the first study using NaDCC for plant tissue culture, suggests is 50 milligrams per liter. You may get away with using less but that would be the amount to start with.

Now that's not 50 milligrams of say a Miltion tablet. That's the ammount of pure NaDCC. The amount of a Milton tablet would be much more since it only contains 19% NaDCC. The amount in milligrams for a Milton tablet to give you 50 milligrams of pure NaDCC would be 263 milligrams.

Dr AJ Sayegh said that it was impractical, in other words a pain in butt, for him to add that amount to the media while waiting for it to cool so he just puts a couple of drops on the surface and calls it a day.

I would be very cautious with doing this. Try it on plants you can afford to lose or ones that are contaminated and you might lose anyway. Carnivorous plants are realitively sensitive to chlorine and it just may not work for them. Actually I don't see much benefit from doing this with CPs. It's not an avenue I would take as a general procedure while making media but it never hurts to experiment.

Frank
Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!