FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By coline
Well, finally I did it, today I introduced this 6 nepenthes meristems to see if I had success with their dissinfection :D .
Last edited by coline on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
By Matt
Congrats on your first attempt! Good luck!

One thing I notice from the photos is that your explants look quite large. In my experience, it's best to keep them as small as possible in order to avoid contamination. Let us know how it turns out!
By Milhaus
BTW: meristem measure less than 0,2mm. This is culture of whole node with stem. In case of Nepenthes ( which are well know to have bacteria inside ) it is waste of time - they will contaminate. Try much smaller tissue containing meristem - 1-5 mm. I guess you will have then success 1:10 with good sterilization protocol.
Milhaus liked this
By coline
Yes, the thing with the title is that the meristem, is the meristem Area, not the mere part, so then, if this first easy option does not work (because it has worked with a friend with mexico) then I would try smaller explants, of course, this is a 1 year trial period. The medium has PPM, if the dissinfection at the end did not work, I would also include a PPM dip before proceeding also.
By coline
Update:
Good news for now.
No more contamination, and the second explant from the right of the photo shows a clear growth, the new leave has energed from the center of the old one.
Yesterday (monday) I saw a small fungi sprouting in the plant 3 from the left, which is pubescent, so I dissinfected it again and it went into new media, it is doing fine right now.
By coline
Second week, the ventrata ones, that are not pubescent are growing well, they have no contamination and a fast development.
The 3 'gentle' ones, 2 have contamination again, fungi, tomorrow they will be dissinfected again, 1 for second time and the other for 1st time, the third of them is doing good. The plant is pubescent so it is not like very strange.
So this time I will add to the typical treatment a bath in PPM solution also.
By coline
After now 3 weeks, the nepenthes explants seem to stabilize, their slow growht continues, and no more fungi has been spotted. A treatment in 40min agrimicin with benlate and 1 hour in 8%ppm seem to have had good results even on an explant that was 2 times contaminated.
This are the plants that remain in good condition:
This two first ones are in the original medium

This next 2 had to be treated once again in dissinfection

And this last one has gone through its second extra dissinfection.
By snapperhead51
looks like to usual result , dont know any one who has successfully got any nep cutting , stem , leaf , nodule or any other part of the nep plant going in T/C other than culture seed grown in the jar
, so will be some thing unknown if you do get them to take , the best have tried , no one been able to do it yet !! still good luck with it , you dont try you never know !!
john
snapperhead51 liked this
By coline
Finally all the remaining plants are growing and some have produced a second basal shoot, the key was to use NaClO again during the re-dissinfection. they are doing great I think
By coline
As comparing to the last photos, I saw it is time for an update! The 4 remaining plants seem to have stabilized, seldomly getting contaminated again, but they have trully started to grow and multiply.
Any guess or aproximation of when could they be cut and replated?

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!