FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nabulous5
Hey guys. I've had a nepenthes (I bought it at the Home Depot, and the tags never said what species it was) since last October. When I bought it, it had huge pitchers, and looked really healthy. Since then, (I'm aware of dormancy) it's been looking really bad. All the pitchers died, new, growing ones died, and the plant turned to a brownish color. Now that spring has rolled around, it has perked up and turned green again, but still no pitchers. One tiny one formed, and the top leaf just popped open, and then it stopped growing, and it now turning black! :x I know now that they need humidity to form pitchers, and thought I might ask the flytrap care forums for help. I just transplanted my plant into a terrarium (It's not a small terrarium, but my plant is huge and it's leaves grow well over the sides), but I was wondering, should I keep it outside (for the daytime) and keep it under shade cloth? Or would it do better inside the not so hot house? Do you guys know if this would help it to form pitchers? Thanks, and sorry about my lack of knowledge on nepenthes.
By ironcore21
Nepenthes don't need a dormancy , also if you could upload a picture that would help determine what's wrong .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
Yes a picture would definitely help. The plants they sell at Home Depot grow very well as houseplants and considering how large they get, that's generally the best way to grow them. They'll want quite a bit of light though.
By mouthstofeed
i'm guessing your nepenthes is a hardy highlander. it will do very well outside under a big shade tree.
By FLTropical
Don't put it outside in a terrarium though. The sun could kill it.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!