FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By sundew
Starchy wrote:
Kbud wrote:Wow! Did you grow it from seed? Are you just going to keep it or cut it and put it on your plants?
I purchased a small cutting from FTS in early June, and plan to grow it until I can have a few containers that sustain themselves. This way, I won't need to purchase cuttings every time I want it as a top coat for my CPs.

Here is a newer image of how my sphagnum is doing:

its looking alot better, good job! :)
By Starchy
I read that browning at the tips of growth could be a sign of dehydration. I have been watering my moss first thing in the morning before work, when I get home, and again before bed. I have no been covering it because I am trying to give it good air circulation. I just can't seem to keep it watered enough. I have it under the same growth light that my seedlings are in, but outside of the growth chamber. I am wondering if its the heat from the light that is causing it to dry out so often (I doubt it though because I am only using 4x t5 bulbs), or if sphagnum moss really requires that much attention.

Lately, I feel like I am giving more attention to the moss than any of my CPs. The growth looked great after I took sundew's advice with watering techniques, but came to a standstill where it is now. The moss just won't grow vertically. I have something in the works to keep the water regulated without my attention, but that will take time.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Also, growth completely stops where the tips have browned. Would it be a good idea to cut the tips off?
By Vern
You know my biggest question is, how you don't have a mold or fungal problem in something that is high moisture.

The last time I tried, I consistently got fuzzy white patches.
By Starchy
Vern wrote:You know my biggest question is, how you don't have a mold or fungal problem in something that is high moisture.

I believe that sphagnum moss is naturally resistant to mold and algae
By Jimbok3
Starchy wrote:
Vern wrote:You know my biggest question is, how you don't have a mold or fungal problem in something that is high moisture.

I believe that sphagnum moss is naturally resistant to mold and algae
That's what I've been thinking too, since I haven't had any fungal problems with my green and purple sphagnum moss. I have had minor fungal issues with some star moss but is was an isolated patch that wasn't doing to well to begin with.
By Vern
That's strange then, perhaps its because it was just starting off and had more dead matter than live matter? I could see it being more resistant if the moss was alive and green. Or maybe because I was attempting to grow it on my porch and window (2 different pots), rather than under a light?

The furthest I've ever gotten with attempting to grow my own colony was they reached about 2cm long but were very skinny and lanky, but I had just assumed that's what it looked like at a young stage.
By swat007j
your so lucky i had mines growing well untill my sister dog tipped over the container in which it was growing in this happen when i was in school , my parents cleaned up the mess by throwing most of my live sphagnum moss alway :'(
By Kbud
That stinks! My collected sample died, but it is suddenly reviving with a passion! Green gold, here I come! I just don't know if it was the spag itself or the dead spag I put it in, but I don't care! Sphag. is sphag!
By Vern
Is it possible for sphagnum moss to drown?

kbud, I am highly envious of you right now.

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Boy this is hard work

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A[…]

Hi from FNQ.

G'day!

I’ll be honest, I’ll probably end up[…]

I get peat moss in the traps every time I repot in[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

Ok great! I had just wondered if they were at all […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!