FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By LAKJP
Pictures and opinions on Red Piranha, Sawtooth, B52 and Big Mouth please!
By weaver
LAKJP wrote:Pictures and opinions on Red Piranha, Sawtooth, B52 and Big Mouth please!
Red Piranha:

This specific cultivar has marginal lashes (teeth) that remind me a lot of ‘Dentate Traps’, but is of course a red variant of this plant. I just recently acquired mine from FTS and I really like it so far. I have read that some specific drawbacks of Red Piranha is that it puts more emphasis on dividing rather than producing large, mature plants.

Sawtooth:

I also just recently acquired this from FTS. This cultivar has marginal lashes that have sharp teeth that resemble a saw blade (hence its name). It produces more decumbent foliage (low lying). I have seen some pictures of the inner surface of the traps becoming bright red, while the area around the marginal teeth being more of a yellow-green.

B52:

I love, love, love this cultivar! This is definitely my favorite as of right now ☺ B52 produces huge traps! My biggest trap is a little larger than an inch and half, but I have heard of them reaching two inches! It is fast growing and very vigorous and produces upright leaves during the growing season. The inside of the traps can develop a bright crimson shade of red if exposed to bright light and also has long marginal lashes that can turn red. Overall just a beautiful cultivar, both in sheer size and color.

Big Mouth:

This is also another colorful cultivar! It produces more compact, decumbent foliage (clustered together) and produces a beautiful, yet intense red to purple coloration. I know the traps can get pretty big on this cultivar, but all of my plants are still relatively young so the traps are about average.

To sum up what I stated above:
-In order of most favorite to least: B52, Big Mouth, Sawtooth, then Red Piranha
-If I were to only choose one cultivar to own out of this selection, it would be B52 (overall just a great cultivar)

Sorry if my opinions were not clear enough. I love them all and have more of a bias towards larger trap cultivars. Hope this helped! :)
By LAKJP
Thanks Josh; another question : How big is the biggest trap on Red Piranha and Sawtooth?
By weaver
LAKJP wrote:Thanks Josh; another question : How big is the biggest trap on Red Piranha and Sawtooth?
I am not entirely sure, but I would estimate a little less than an inch (so pretty normal). I'll give you a more accurate measurement, when I get back to my house tonight!
By Lord Death
Very nice photos! I always thought Red Piranha was more of a small clumping VFT than a larger branching one. The insides of my Sawtooth's traps are a lot redder than yours though - is it definitely getting enough light?

This was my Sawtooth in spring two years ago:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8/sdc118351.jpg
By LAKJP
weaver wrote:I am not entirely sure, but I would estimate a little less than an inch (so pretty normal). I'll give you a more accurate measurement, when I get back to my house tonight!
Thanks Josh ! :D

Wow! That Sawtooth looks gorgeous Lord Death!
By weaver
Lord Death wrote:Very nice photos! I always thought Red Piranha was more of a small clumping VFT than a larger branching one. The insides of my Sawtooth's traps are a lot redder than yours though - is it definitely getting enough light?

This was my Sawtooth in spring two years ago:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8/sdc118351.jpg
Ya it is getting enough light (16 hour photoperiod under 4 T8 6500K bulbs--6 to 8 inches away), I literally just got it two days ago from FTS...so it could of lost some its color during the shipping process. And as for Red Piranha I was surprised to see it branching also, because like you said it's more of a small clumping VFT from what I have seen.

package recieved thank you Sent from my SM-S918U […]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Thanks, I gave them another treatment this morning[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I do sell on Etsy, and anything I sell is authenti[…]

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome to the forum!

How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!