FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By ghost12
my order date 16/2/2010 . it arrived to my mailbox in new york in 20/2/ and arrived to Kuwait Today 1/3/

"FTS Crimson Sawtooth" Small

"Red" Typical Venus Fly Small

"Big Jaws" Medium order date 5/2/ arrived to Kuwait 14/2/

I use the water come out from air conditioner, it is good for these plants ?

at last l am sorry from my bad English language
By Matt
Wow, all the way to Kuwait, huh? That's great! The FTS Crimson Sawtooth is international now! And the plants don't look too bad for being shipped that far and being in a box for two weeks.

Water that condenses from your air conditioner should be good, clean water that can be used on Venus fly traps, assuming that there isn't anything bad on the inside of the A/C or in the tube that the water runs out of.
By Steve_D
Just make sure that whatever water you use has no minerals or dissolved mineral salts in it. As Matt mentioned, if the water is from condensation, that's OK, and I'm guessing that's what you meant. However, if the "air conditioner" is an evaporative cooler, the water in it has concentrated dissolved minerals and will very probably harm or possibly kill the plant(s).

Just take a little extra effort to ensure that the water you are using is absolutely pure and has nothing else in it. Distilled water, collected rainwater and water from reverse osmosis units are all OK. "Drinking water" or "spring water" sold in bottles at stores may not be OK to use.

The plants look good. I'm sure they are happy to be out of their shipping container! :)

Good luck, -Steve
By ghost12
you are right. I mean condensation

I used condensation water for 4 months for this plant
Can I change the soil now?or wait seed ?

how long time the minerals or dissolved Influenced on the plants ??
By Lawndude84
ghost12 wrote: how long time the minerals or dissolved Influenced on the plants ??

That depends on the levels of minerals in the water. I'd say you would have seen some signs by now, so you should be safe.
By Steve_D
Ghost12, if that were my plant, I would remove the whitish rocks from the surface of the growing medium. Either that, or I would flush the medium periodically to drain out any accumulated dissolved solids. Actually it's good to flush (leach) the medium occasionally anyway.

The rocks look like they may be slightly soluble in water, and although many people have and do use them as a top dressing, they can sometimes contribute to a buildup of harmful mineral salts in the medium.

do you use them as protection from a harsh sun? Or why? They are probably unnecessary.

If you want seeds from the flowers, I would wait until after all the seeds are harvested (it usually takes 4-5 weeks for each flower to produce a mature seed pod, and the flowering is staggered over a period of 3-6 weeks) before cutting off the flower stalk and transplanting the plant.

It will be weakened at that time and may take some time to recover, unless it is an exceptionally healthy and robust plant.

Steve
By ghost12
Steve_D wrote:Ghost12, if that were my plant, I would remove the whitish rocks from the surface of the growing medium. Either that, or I would flush the medium periodically to drain out any accumulated dissolved solids. Actually it's good to flush (leach) the medium occasionally anyway.

The rocks look like they may be slightly soluble in water, and although many people have and do use them as a top dressing, they can sometimes contribute to a buildup of harmful mineral salts in the medium.

do you use them as protection from a harsh sun? Or why? They are probably unnecessary.

If you want seeds from the flowers, I would wait until after all the seeds are harvested (it usually takes 4-5 weeks for each flower to produce a mature seed pod, and the flowering is staggered over a period of 3-6 weeks) before cutting off the flower stalk and transplanting the plant.

It will be weakened at that time and may take some time to recover, unless it is an exceptionally healthy and robust plant.

Steve
Thank you for your careful in my plant i do what you advice my to remove rocks
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/61/img8420.jpg
and Seed Information

on another division with one short root, all the l[…]

Finally

Those are beautiful! I’m wondering what ki[…]

I just want to confirm that this has been sent as […]

Agreed, no plant seed cross will ever breed tue du[…]

I’m looking to purchase some sarrs and I&r[…]

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. Tha[…]

Amazon and eBay are your friend. Check both for gr[…]

Thanks for the help! I've contacted someone you me[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!