FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mawy_Plants
That's great you're going to tell the kids about these plants. I was actually showing my nephew videos and telling him about it just the other day since he tagged along while I CP hunt. Haha. Maybe you'll spark an interest and the community will gain another big eyed wonderer!

I will definitely take it easy when repotting my Nep then. I got it from Lowe's as well and looks like the same pot, so chances are from same distributor. Hope your guy recovers!

Awesome, good luck on those seeds! Yeah, I'm patiently waiting for something in my propagator. Chunks of peat keeps drying up so I'm getting worried that I'm not keeping it moist enough. There's condensation tho so who knows!

I hope to give back to the seed bank one of these days. Might be a while, but it's a goal!

As far as getting more, I would love to. Except I have no idea where I'd put them. Plus I'd like to see how all my new additions will fare before I get more than I can handle.
By riveraXVX
Mawy_Plants wrote:That's great you're going to tell the kids about these plants. I was actually showing my nephew videos and telling him about it just the other day since he tagged along while I CP hunt. Haha. Maybe you'll spark an interest and the community will gain another big eyed wonderer!

I will definitely take it easy when repotting my Nep then. I got it from Lowe's as well and looks like the same pot, so chances are from same distributor. Hope your guy recovers!

Awesome, good luck on those seeds! Yeah, I'm patiently waiting for something in my propagator. Chunks of peat keeps drying up so I'm getting worried that I'm not keeping it moist enough. There's condensation tho so who knows!

I hope to give back to the seed bank one of these days. Might be a while, but it's a goal!

As far as getting more, I would love to. Except I have no idea where I'd put them. Plus I'd like to see how all my new additions will fare before I get more than I can handle.
originally I had planned on ONLY having our original flytraps until I knew I could care for them through dormancy and back out of without any issues before getting into too many other plants, either my confidence soared as I learned/read more as time went on, or my willpower diminished though :lol:

I'm fairly confident dormancy for the different varieties we have will be no problem so we shall see! the smaller plan also really for expanding more is to grow a few more cultivars that I know others like and hopefully be able to have some nice divisions and plants to trade off to expand more without spending as much $$ or selling off some to offset a little.

my first posts here I commented on the fact I really don't have much throwaway income to just toss into stuff like plant hobbies, but if I can help make that hobby not totally bleed me dry I don't mind putting a little more into it to help it semi-fund itself a little!

so far so good on the nep with no roots, been a little under 48 hours and it looks no different than before it happened, I keep jokingly looking at our small propagator complaining to my wife "dangit, no sprouts yet!"
By Tryner78
The number of plants I own has grown... but not the way I expected. I had cut off some spatulata leaves a month back, and left them there kind of hoping that they would grow (which they did). Same with a little tiny flytrap. this, in addition to a very large survival rate of the capensis seeds...... Maybe next year I'll make some hybrids and trade those off. I have gone from having three plants and some seeds to having 6 main plants (counting the mini spats) and ~30 capensis plantlets.
Tryner78 liked this
By riveraXVX
Tryner78 wrote:The number of plants I own has grown... but not the way I expected. I had cut off some spatulata leaves a month back, and left them there kind of hoping that they would grow (which they did). Same with a little tiny flytrap. this, in addition to a very large survival rate of the capensis seeds...... Maybe next year I'll make some hybrids and trade those off. I have gone from having three plants and some seeds to having 6 main plants (counting the mini spats) and ~30 capensis plantlets.
I guess there is a good reason for people considering them weeds practically haha

a few of our new pitcher plants we got last week had some stowaway spats and maybe a yet to be identified Ulti. with them, judging how many seeds came from the intermedia pot I can understand why some of these really.....get into and grow everywhere. when we put down the 3 types of seeds in our lil propagator setup forgot to look which was which so it will be a random surprise once sprouts start coming in! we sectioned off the container into 3rds when adding them in so at least like plants will be grouped in the same area
By Fly Trap Hunter
PHOTO BOMB
hardware store fly trap
hardware store fly trap
IMG_6840.JPG (109.07 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
You had me out at the hardware store, looking for a fix today. This is a 1.5 inch across vft. I went looking for Nepenes and Pitcher plants, but they didn't have those. Collecting CPs is OCD. I know. but its a positive addiction. If it adds to the quality of my life and doesn't take away, its positive. And there is mostly joy and not sadness. :roll: And I'm enjoying being around people who share this hobby. I might be a little obsessive, but I'm among friends. :lol:

The best comment I have read on this forum is: "yes. if you stare at it long enough, you can see it grow." :lol: :lol: :lol:
By riveraXVX
nice red coloration on that one looks like it will be a nice plant once it picks itself back up also!

yep, today in town there is a gentleman who is way into native plants and sells/grows a variety and does awareness stuff locally he is having one of his once or twice a year driveway sales and grows a few random carnivorous plants amongst all his other stuff (Ferns, bushes, flowers, trees, etc) so going to go take a look and meet him in person (I bugged him through a friend at a market they spotted his plants at a while back and e-mailing to inquire)

nothing too crazy but he sells a few of the Larry Mellichamp hybrid sarracenia's (same person who did the ones we picked up in Charlotte a couple weeks back, and use to run that greenhouse for almost 40 years) so might end up with yet another plant today. its too hard to say no but like you said its mostly a positive and it is enjoyable. I've spent more money on much worse or less personally rewarding things over my lifetime that is for sure! I don't go out and do much of any of the things people do to blow their money on, it feels nice to find something to splurge a little on haha
By Mawy_Plants
I am right there with you and Fly Trap Hunter! Treat yoself! 8-)

I'd say it's a healthy hobby amongst others! It increases the time we spend outside, our hands are in contact with nature (HOW WE SHOULD BE), and like you both said, quite enjoyable and full of joy!

Pretty excited to see how my recent VFT typical saves will end up. Chose one due to the short/ triangular cilia and the other had a maroon hue. Had to snag both, am I right?!

What's one more plant going to hurt? :mrgreen:
By Mawy_Plants
riveraXVX wrote: so far so good on the nep with no roots, been a little under 48 hours and it looks no different than before it happened, I keep jokingly looking at our small propagator complaining to my wife "dangit, no sprouts yet!"
Great news! I think sprouts might take a little longer than 2 days. :lol: Keeping my fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery!

I've decided to just leave mine in it's current pot for now. I have another post if you wanna check it out! Plus the pot I want to use seems a bit too big for its size. Heh!

Side note, are you just using LFS for media? Or also mixing in perlite? I'm not sure what I want to use yet... Blahhh. :?
Mawy_Plants liked this
By riveraXVX
Mawy_Plants wrote:
riveraXVX wrote: so far so good on the nep with no roots, been a little under 48 hours and it looks no different than before it happened, I keep jokingly looking at our small propagator complaining to my wife "dangit, no sprouts yet!"
Great news! I think sprouts might take a little longer than 2 days. :lol: Keeping my fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery!

I've decided to just leave mine in it's current pot for now. I have another post if you wanna check it out! Plus the pot I want to use seems a bit too big for its size. Heh!

Side note, are you just using LFS for media? Or also mixing in perlite? I'm not sure what I want to use yet... Blahhh. :?
yeah you might be onto something with that taking longer than 2 days LOL... went to check out the local guy who grows and sells a variety of native plants for hobby here and there. oh my....goodness... his yard.... his beautiful beautiful beautiful yard. he has what I am working towards on our property over the next couple of years and it is gorgeeeeeeeeeeeous. he just happens to grow CP also

we spent about half an hour talking with him and then the kid and I got to walk around his gardens a bit to check things out (he had probably 1/3 an acre that was full on native garden just cut right into an otherwise sprawling suburban area... beautiful area.

we ended up picking up two other pupurea hybrids ... 'fat chance' which if I understand how this works it is a select clone of s. purpurea rosea (Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkei.?) and 'carolina yellow jacket' which I can't remember but purpurea, rosea and something else.

the pitchers are absolutely stuffed in their pots - paying $10/ea for those after paying $10/ea for the ones at lowes feels like I ripped myself off LOL but still! will post some photos soon as the sun isn't blasting down

also to answer question: I've been going straight LFSM

L: 'fat chance' R: 'Carolina yellow Jacket'
top view of 'Carolina Yellow Jacket'
top view of 'Fat Chance'

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!