FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By penn_be3
So I bought a VFT, and its soil was dry, so I decided to water it, and I was completely oblivious to the fact that I hadn't done the research needed for this plant (I somewhat had, but not necessarily for care) and when I watered my other plants I watered my VFT too (with tap). Now I'm going to try to attempt to fix my mistake, as I bought a Zero water filter which will arrive early tomorrow morning, and I'm going to rinse/drain my VFT as much as I can to get the minerals from the tap out. My only question is: will my VFT be okay if it's only been a few hours and then drained out with filtered water? Or do I run the risk of it dying? Thank you in advance to anyone who answers my questions!
By andynorth
Fortunately you caught it fairly soon. Do you have a TDS meter? Normally anything under 100 is acceptable as long as you top water with distilled, rain or the zero waterbto flush about once a week. When you get your zero water pitcher they normally have a meter. I would top water and flush the soil really well.
wcrosman, penn_be3 liked this
By cpgrower126
Your vft will be fine for a few days, but you should repot it into peat and perlite, or long fibered sphagnum moss. You can pick up the better grow LFSM or gubler's LFSM at Lowe's. If you cannot do this in the near future, rinse the the pot with distilled water multiple times. After you have done this, get a tray, rinse it one more time, and use the TDS water that comes with the Zero Water Pitcher to take a reading. Try to get it below 100 ppm, but below 50 ppm is better. Furthermore, follow these requirements for care:
Sunlight: At least four hours of direct sunlight a day (i.e. full sun)
Water: rain, distilled, or reverse osmosis water only
Soil: Nutrient poor soil such as peat moss or sphagnum moss and a pot with good drainage
Dormancy: A yearly dormancy period in the winter months
Follow these instructions and your flytrap will thrive.

Happy growing!
wcrosman, penn_be3 liked this
Leaf cutting

If you just cut the traps off then the leaves can […]

A Thread for Pygmies

Very nice photo! I just harvested my first scorpio[…]

Wingless fruit flies?

I have a closed-tank setup for pygmy sundews and i[…]

Nepenthes pictures!

Newest pitcher just popped open on my N. Platychil[…]

Ok, What’d I Do?

That’s really helpful, thank you, especial[…]

I'm wishing you a happy week and wishing your plan[…]

That’s awesome! I just checked mine (sown 4/[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!