FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
Hello everyone. I have a small 10 gal highland set up. It has a 48w T5HO over it for about 14 hrs a day and the humidity stays around 80%. There is about a 10-degree temp drop at night +/-. Everything seems to be good as far as the setup goes. However, all the lower leaves seem to die off fast so only the top 3rd of the plant is green and have leaves and traps. The larges plant in this setup is about 8-10 inches across and everything else is much smaller.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
By KategoricalKarnivore
It looks like normal leaf die off to me. Notice how the stem is becoming woody? Nepenthes are vining plants. They only keep a certain number of leaves alive at any given time. Some keep more than others. With the way yours look it looks to me as though they are just shedding their lower leaves and stiffening up the stem to help support their upright growth. Looks completely normal to me.
By Hungry Plants
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:It looks like normal leaf die off to me. Notice how the stem is becoming woody? Nepenthes are vining plants. They only keep a certain number of leaves alive at any given time. Some keep more than others. With the way yours look it looks to me as though they are just shedding their lower leaves and stiffening up the stem to help support their upright growth. Looks completely normal to me.
Thanks KK. I know larger ones did that but these are only a few inches tall so I was a little nervous. I got most of them from a good friend and one of them from Hollyhock. I would be pretty upset if I lost them.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Yeah I hear you on that. I have a few small Neps that only tend to keep 4-5 leaves at a time but otherwise are doing great. All yours look very healthy and happy.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!