FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Bah Humbug!
Though there may be something supernatural afoot.
I'd like to thank Optique for this latest, miraculous donation.
Over four months ago (August 1st to be exact), Optique sent in a SASE and a donation, neither of which arrived. We were both bummed. However, today I received an envelope with a request number almost 200 requests old, and it was the SASE that we resigned ourselves to have been lost in the dark bowels of the USPS. Which it was, because it was postmarked December 18th. Some diligent little gopher at the post office must have found it after all this time.
I'm happy to say that, thanks to Optique, we are adding four packs of filiformis var Floridana "Florida Red, White Flower" to inventory.
These seeds are immediately available to all eligible members.
Optique, thank you for your continued generosity.
By Panman
Question. I am having problems sprouting any of the floridana seeds that I have gotten. Any suggestions? I know that they don't need stratification, but would that help?
By Huntsmanshorn
I have found that I too get poor germination rates with these guys, but they do better for me the warmer I keep them, or so it seems anyway.
By thepitchergrower
A seed donation got lost?? How could USPS do that? Especially since they lost Panman's seedy package. Gives me hope that it will someday arrive... :? :lol:
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:24 am Question. I am having problems sprouting any of the floridana seeds that I have gotten. Any suggestions? I know that they don't need stratification, but would that help?
Huntsmanshorn wrote:I have found that I too get poor germination rates with these guys, but they do better for me the warmer I keep them, or so it seems anyway.
See, you youngsters are just too impatient. You could have waited for the Georgia heat to help you out, but you had to sow sub tropical seeds in Winter.
Use the heat!
Seriously though, when I sowed my filiformis var Floridana "White Flower" seeds that I got from Shadowtski, I did it in early summer. I let Mother Nature cuddle them and keep them warm and got some decent sprouts.
They decided to go dormant, they still have that propensity, but I expect them to wake up fine next Spring.
By Apollyon
I've noticed germination from seed set the following year in the spring. Idk if they "need" it but they seem to respond to it. I expect several (hundred?)weeds next year :/
By optique
I got my start from SNW, I keep them outside year round. I have taken cuttings in the fall and they did well in a window over the winter.

By thepitchergrower
ChefDean wrote:
Panman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:24 am Question. I am having problems sprouting any of the floridana seeds that I have gotten. Any suggestions? I know that they don't need stratification, but would that help?
Huntsmanshorn wrote:I have found that I too get poor germination rates with these guys, but they do better for me the warmer I keep them, or so it seems anyway.
See, you youngsters are just too impatient. You could have waited for the Georgia heat to help you out, but you had to sow sub tropical seeds in Winter.
Use the heat!
Seriously though, when I sowed my filiformis var Floridana "White Flower" seeds that I got from Shadowtski, I did it in early summer. I let Mother Nature cuddle them and keep them warm and got some decent sprouts.
They decided to go dormant, they still have that propensity, but I expect them to wake up fine next Spring.
Chef, since Panguy is going to be 57 this February, I think he may be older than you? :? I don't think he's considered as a youngster. :lol:
By ChefDean
thepitchergrower wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:20 pmChef, since Panguy is going to be 57 this February, I think he may be older than you? :? I don't think he's considered as a youngster. :lol:
Pandude is nearly 57? Really? He doesn't look nearly that, he looks great! Dang!
I guess he's just young at heart.
thepitchergrower liked this
By Panman
ChefDean wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:41 pm Pandude is nearly 57? Really? He doesn't look nearly that, he looks great! Dang!
I guess he's just young at heart.
I live by the motto: You're only young once, but you can be immature forever. :D
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!