FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Just wanted to request this before I lost my chance! Once the post for the June bonus is made, I'll edit the post. Thank you Chef!
Last edited by Sundews69 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By ChefDean
Order received.
Your order number is 0971.
I'll PM you shortly with a mailing address for your SASE.
Thank you for your order.

Reminder to all:
Please remember to write your Forum username and order number somewhere on the envelope or in a note.
I don't have access to a cross reference of real-world names linked to usernames.
Remembering these things helps me fill orders quicker.
Thank you.

Happy growing,
Chef
By ChefDean
What are your conditions? And how long have they been sown? You received them almost two months ago, but did you sow them right away?
Two months without germination is uncommon but not unheard of. However, with the bulk of these seeds you received, they are almost all fresh. I believe they were all harvested this year with the exception of about one quarter of the Rosettes.
Even if they were all older, 0% germination is about the same odds as hitting the lottery if the growing conditions are close to what is necessary.
I had a couple pots of seeds that I sowed while it was hotter, and they didn't do anything, while others of the same species sown earlier in the year sprouted. Maybe the heat???
By Sundews69
Sorry, I forgot to clarify this, but I was just talking about the spats. They were sowed around a month ago indoors under good lighting and decent humidity. 0% germination from the spats but got germination on the mixed rosettes.
By Sundews69
I might see one tiny seedling. It's so small to tell and it's been like that for a long time so I'm not sure it actually is a plant. I guess we'll see if it gets bigger!
By ChefDean
Most carnivorous plant seeds do not have the starch reserves that most other seeds have to fuel their growth (think about the bean seeds you planted in Elementary school). They put out their cotyledons, maybe a couple of carnivorous leaves, to start photosynthesis and catch tiny bugs, then focus on root growth to keep a supply of water. Once roots even out with leaves, they'll start to develop and grow more. Just keep them in good light and monitor them.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
ChefDean wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:44 am Most carnivorous plant seeds do not have the starch reserves that most other seeds have to fuel their growth (think about the bean seeds you planted in Elementary school). They put out their cotyledons, maybe a couple of carnivorous leaves, to start photosynthesis and catch tiny bugs, then focus on root growth to keep a supply of water. Once roots even out with leaves, they'll start to develop and grow more. Just keep them in good light and monitor them.
That makes sense. thanks!
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!