FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Fily
I thought I planted my VFT in the right kind of soil but it turns out it isn't. The traps are almost dead but the bulb is still healthy (it's white and very hard). I ordered the right type of soil but I'm afraid that it may not arrive before the plant dies completely. Would it be a better idea to take it out of the soil or will it do more damage?
By Cross
Do you have a lowes near you? See if they have any small bags of peat moss. Otherwise, toy could buy one of their dormant pitcher and fly trap kits. They're like 10, they may have some discounted now. Use the sphagnum and dirt in there. I don't think sitting it bare root will help. When does your new soil arrive?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Fily
the fact is that it was supposed to arrive almost a week ago but we had a massive snow storm so the currier wasn't able to reach my location which is up in the Alps. I also don't have any stores near me that have the type of soil that suits carnivorous plants. If everything goes right it SHOULD arrive tomorrow, but at this point I can't be so sure. If the traps all die but the bulb remains healthy, is there any chance it can grow back during the summer? Should I just leave the plant as it is?
By Cross
As long as the rhizome is healthy, it'll be fine, even if the traps die. I mean, people ship barefoot. You could potentially wrap it in a wet paper towel. But I think if it's supposed to be there tomorrow, it should be okay. I think it will be fine.

By Fily
Thanks man, you truly are my hero. You helped me with two of my posts already and are very fast to respond. Thank you very much. :)
By Cross
No problem, I hope everything works out well. Oh, when you repot, becareful with the roots. I would also carefully rinse the rhizome and roots with distilled water, or rain if that's what you're using.

By Fily
Just finished repotting it. As soon as finished writing my doorbell rang. I washed the rhizome and repotted it. I also trimmed off the dead leaves and traps. Now my poor plant now has only 4 leaves. If the remaining leaves start to go black should I just cut them off and just leave the rhizome? Is there something else I should do or should I just treat the plant as if it was normal?
By Cross
Isn't that funny! Lol. Just treat it like normal. Even if the end of the leaves are black, the green will still take in light and produce more traps. I don't remove the traps until they pop right off at the rhizome. Just let him grow with good light. I'm sure he'll bounce back in no time now.

By Cross
Got a picture? I have to see this tough kid.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!