FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By tejan24
Has any one ever order VFT's from ook's Carnivorous plants? How did your order go? How did the plants look? How was the packagIng? I wanted to order a few clones but not to sure yet. Any advice would be great.
Thank you

Jaime Rodriguez
By Matt
Jaime,

My experience with Dean Cook has been a bit mixed. I think that his Sarracenia are really nice, but I've not been happy with the size of the flytraps and drosera that he sells. The Dionaea I got from him are the only ones I've ever had die on me. They were just very, very tiny plants with no roots to speak of.

However, someone gave me a Christmas gift from Dean Cook and there was a Sarracenia in the bunch and it was awesome! Also, I got my Heliamphora nutans from him and it was pretty nice though I think it was fresh out of TC, so he didn't do much growing of it himself.

Hope that helps!
By Matt
tejan24 wrote:Ok Matt thanks, I'll have to order one or two and see how they are. I wanted to order about 7 clones but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.
I think that's a good idea. Order a couple and see how you like them. If you don't like them, then hold off on ordering more.

What clones are you looking at? The flytrapstore (Steve and I) will likely have a lot more to choose from later this year or early next year. I should be able to get most of my collection started in tissue culture this year that I don't already have going in TC.
By tejan24
I would like to get the clones "Clayton's red sunset," "Pink venus," "royal red," "Crested petioles," "Paradisa," "low giant," and "big Vigirous." I would like to get them sooner or later.
Do you have any extra divisions that you would sell me if so PM me.
Thank you
By Matt
I have "Pink Venus", 'Royal Red' (the plant I sent you today is most likely a 'Royal Red' offspring because it looks identical to it to me), and "Low Giant" in tissue culture right now. "Pink Venus" I almost have ready to deflask and Steve might actually have some of them ready to sell soon (I think he had some left over from last year). I'll likely have 'Royal Red' and "Low Giant" available by the end of summer.

I also have "Paradisia", "Crested Petioles", 'Clayton's red sunset' and "Big Vigorous" on its way to me in tissue culture (large order from Triffid Park), so I should have some of them available by late summer or fall.

Unfortunately, I don't have any extra divisions that are worthy of selling right now other than some "Pink Venus" plants, but I have them all planted in one pot and I don't plan on repotting them this spring.

Go ahead and try a few plants from Dean Cook and see what you think of them. If you're not happy with them, you can try elsewhere or wait until Steve and I have plants available. Or you could order the plants you want now and just order more from us when we have the ones you want available ;)
By tejan24
Great, that's really nice to know that you and Steve will have a large variate of VFT's in the future. I'll get a one from cooks and see how they are. I will definitely be getting more from your/Steve store and waiting for more of the (FTS) Clones. :-)
By Matt
tejan24 wrote:Great, that's really nice to know that you and Steve will have a large variate of VFT's in the future. I'll get a one from cooks and see how they are. I will definitely be getting more from your/Steve store and waiting for more of the (FTS) Clones. :-)
Yes, I'm confident that eventually Steve and I will have the largest selection of VFT clones in the US. The process is a bit slow, but considering that we only started a few months ago, I'm happy with the progress we've made so far.

I'm really excited about producing more FTS clones. I have somewhere around 350 seedlings of very good genetic stock in tissue culture right now. I can already tell that some of them are going to be special. I can't wait for them to mature and see which ones are nice.

Out of the 200 or so seedlings that I tissue cultured last year, there are 4 or so that were worthy of propagating. You know about the "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" and "FTS Dente" already. There is another one I'm tentatively calling "FTS Long Eyelashes" that has really long cilia and huge traps. And then there's this clone:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =24&t=3769
I'm planning on propagating it too. Unfortunately I took both the "FTS Long Eyelashes" and the one in the thread above out of TC, so it will be a while before I can get them established again in order to propagate them.
By 95slvrZ28
Awh sweet! You're planning on propagating the Red Line!
FTS is going to have some great looking clones when you and Steve get everything up to full speed.
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:Awh sweet! You're planning on propagating the Red Line!
Yep, I look at it every day and really enjoy it. I figured other people might too, so why not make it available to everyone, right?
95slvrZ28 wrote:FTS is going to have some great looking clones when you and Steve get everything up to full speed.
I sure hope so!
By 95slvrZ28
Do you plan on making every clone in your collection available eventually? You have a huge collection...
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:Do you plan on making every clone in your collection available eventually? You have a huge collection...
Yep, that's the plan. In addition to the clones on my grow list, Steve has a few really nice WIP (World Insectivorous Plants) clones from Bob Hanrahan, a long time CP grower. And of course, there's always the seed grown plants that we'll produce. I'm hoping to start making some interesting crosses the next few years.
tejan24 wrote:Yes I remember those photos. That is a very nice looking plant. Looking forword to the near future. Keep up the good work.
Will do!
By Timmy
I dunno but his pics are probably from the web or he asked people or they deleted them.
By Timmy
Matt's right I once ordered a small sarracenia but later it died from no reason, so I dunno about them.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!