FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By houseplantfan
Hello! I have checked out several of the dormancy posts but didn't see the answer to my question. I live in the Piedmont of NC and had planned on allowing my VFT to go dormant on my screened in porch. After seeing some of the other dormancy posts/setups, I am questioning if this is a good idea. Will it be ok out there since they are native to NC?

We do get below freezing temps periodically through out the winter. During the winter months, our average lows hover right around the freezing mark, give or take a few degrees. The high's are generally in the 50's Dec-Feb. I have placed it near the screen to get the rainwater that blows in to trap any gnats/small spiders that make their way into the porch. It gets some afternoon sun. I have it in a pot that is lined with styrofoam. Should I put a bell jar over it to help buffer it against some of the wind and cold exposure?

Should I be watering it when it is dormant?

Thanks!
By KategoricalKarnivore
They should do just fine without a jar. And you still need to water them. Just keep the soil moist. You can let the top dry out a little but don’t let the entire pot dry up.
By riveraXVX
I'm braving the outdoors for the winter here and am also in the piedmont/triad area of NC (Greensboro)

I'm not 100% confident on my setup thusfar and will be covering the plants at night if it is suppose to get to freezing (two nights so far including last night) then just uncovering once sun comes up and temperatures start rising.

almost all containers are either styrofoam cups or larger containers now (6x6x8) and just have them as tightly packed together in their trays as they can be

if we get any longer cold snaps I may wrap the pots up also but generally our winters are pretty mild
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!