FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Toddharrison1
Hi all! Question for anyone who may have the answer and kind enough to share! I live in zone 6 in NY and I have 3 separate large colonies of vft, in large plastic traditional pots, each three years old and thriving.. I recently moved and I don’t have the same optimal dormancy conditions and I prefer to let them have light and Stay natural as possible during winter so I used to leave right on a cold windowsill and it’s alway worked perfect. My only option in the new house seems to be outside and I want to get a cold frame mini greenhouse for them and I’m wondering if they will survive that way possibly w some sort of insulation like an all natural black mulch or something? They are going dormant and it’s been at freezing last couple night so I need to make a love for them soon. Thanks guys!
Photo is my colonies and the proposed cold frame..
Attachments:
5A63EB97-D5D1-4175-9B97-F906F656C2CF.png
5A63EB97-D5D1-4175-9B97-F906F656C2CF.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2522 times
2223C69E-6476-44D9-AECD-59F003F5CB80.jpeg
2223C69E-6476-44D9-AECD-59F003F5CB80.jpeg (4.29 MiB) Viewed 2522 times
By fluffy123
That good, but if there is a polar vortex outbreak in the forecast, they would have to have an multiple layers of burlap or frost fabric over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toddharrison1 liked this
By fluffy123
My Drosera Intermedia stays outside all the winter in NJ in zone 7a. I have them covered under layers of burlap during winter and check the hibernacula often for mold or fungus. I also do the same for Drosera Filiformis and Drosera x Hybrida.ImageImage

MaxVft, Toddharrison1 liked this
By MaxVft
I live in 8b but it still freezes (as low as 35 F) for weeks at a time for me here, I had the same question if I want to keep them outside for the winter.
By fluffy123
As long as the freezes are only overnight down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit then, you are fine. However, if there are extended freezes or there is an overnight freeze below 20 degrees Fahrenheit you have to cover your potted plants with black plastic your bring them into an ingested part of the house like the garage.

MaxVft liked this
By Cross
Geez, those vfts look freakin savage. They're like the doberman guard dog of the vft world just dating a fly to step into their lawn lol. I was wondering the same thing. What is a 'for-stupid suggestion for me to keep them outside all winter? I've outgrown the counter lol, especially when I divide them tomorrow. I'm wondering what exactly I'd need and what can't I put out there. I've got a mix of a couple of different kind of cp's.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Toddharrison1, MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
fluffy123 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:13 pm As long as the freezes are only overnight down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit then, you are fine. However, if there are extended freezes or there is an overnight freeze below 20 degrees Fahrenheit you have to cover your potted plants with black plastic your bring them into an ingested part of the house like the garage.

Alright, thanks! I don't think it's ever been 20F where I live, so I think my plants will make it without freezing.
By Toddharrison1
So I get a good amount of snow and temps do get below 20 degrees at times during the winter where I am but my plan is this: put the cold frame in a wind protected area that gets the a lot of sun .. layers of leaves on the bottom w a few layers of burlap on top of that.. put my pots in and then fill the cold frame to the top of the pots w black muclh to absorb sun.. putting several layers of burlap on top of plants when temps dip … thoughts?
By tommyr
Toddharrison1 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:48 pm Hi all! Question for anyone who may have the answer and kind enough to share! I live in zone 6 in NY and I have 3 separate large colonies of vft, in large plastic traditional pots, each three years old and thriving.. I recently moved and I don’t have the same optimal dormancy conditions and I prefer to let them have light and Stay natural as possible during winter so I used to leave right on a cold windowsill and it’s alway worked perfect. My only option in the new house seems to be outside and I want to get a cold frame mini greenhouse for them and I’m wondering if they will survive that way possibly w some sort of insulation like an all natural black mulch or something? They are going dormant and it’s been at freezing last couple night so I need to make a love for them soon. Thanks guys!
Photo is my colonies and the proposed cold frame..
I'm also in N.Y., zone 6 Mid Hudson Valley. For VFTs, in mid – October (zone 6) once the plants are well into the start of dormancy I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a SULFUR based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3 - 3 1/2 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February 1st I take them out and clean them up, repot any that need it, hit them with SULFUR based fungicide again and place in a south and west window and some under florescent and white 'daylight' LED lights until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for 14 years with no losses.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!