FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DoubleG
I purchased a VFT in August and it is already starting to turn black. I have watered only with distilled and don’t feed it. I was wondering if I could get some info on winter care/dormancy. I live in a 5b area and I do not have a screened in area. I live in the woods so I can make a bog garden however it won’t get much sunlight. I’ve also been growing it indoors in an East facing window. Can anybody help me with this? Thank you
By kameraten
Could you provide with any pictures? What are the current temperatures? How much sunlight does it get?
By Fieldofscreams
You won't be able to grow them outside in the winter in zone 5b.
By fluffy123
Because zone 5b has prolonged freezes because of the polar vortex visits your area every winter, so you Venus Flytrap can die in polar vortex outbreaks. They can take frost down to 25 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit for short periods of time outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
I am in 5b. I agree that keeping them outdoors will be difficult. Do you have a garage? currently I keep mine out until mid-late November then put them all in storage in the garage. If a polar vortex is coming I have a small heater I turn on to keep things around 30-45*F. Since I'm out of luck with my greenhouse plan, I will be overwinter in the garage again this year, making essentially a square "grow tent" out of some insulation material and wood in the corner of the garage. Keeps in enough heat to not let things freeze.

However, if you have been growing it indoors and it's turning black then it's likely a rot/lack of sunlight issue. They do terrible unless they have strong light. growing them indoors is almost impossible in most cases without supplemental artificial lighting.
By DoubleG
I do grow it inside, so it’s probably dying. Thank you, I wish I would’ve found this website sooner! :(
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!