FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Anymal911
I'm going to be gone for two weeks this winter break, and since my plants are dormant I can't leave them in water trays. Are there any methods you guys have used to keep your plants alive when you're gone in the winter?
By Benurmanii
Filling a tray would be your best option. The reason for avoiding the tray method during dormancy is to avoid constant wetness. However, that water will evaporate while you're away. Better a little wet for a short period of time than dry for a longer time.
By Anymal911
I will be gone for about 13 days... I will check the weather forecast to see if there will be any rain here while I'm gone, but I doubt it.
@Benurmanii- if I use trays and it rains, the plants would most likely drown.
By Benurmanii
Anymal911 wrote:I will be gone for about 13 days... I will check the weather forecast to see if there will be any rain here while I'm gone, but I doubt it.
@Benurmanii- if I use trays and it rains, the plants would most likely drown.
Oh, I did not know they are outside. If they are outside, then you should be fine leaving them out without any extra watering. Just water then heavily before you go. What are the temps like?
By Anymal911
Well, in the next 10 days the highest temp. will be 77*F and the lowest will be 35*F. (I'm leaving on the 20th.) I'm more worried about the outside ones because the weather here varies greatly (only in Texas :lol: ), but I actually have a plan for my indoors plants, except for my N. x miranda, which should be fine for 13 days since the pot is big enough, and I usually water it about every two weeks anyway. But yeah, there are times when I don't have to water my plants for over a week, and then a few days later I will have to water them every two days, and vice versa.
By TS 1989
Anymal911 wrote:Well, in the next 10 days the highest temp. will be 77*F and the lowest will be 35*F. (I'm leaving on the 20th.) I'm more worried about the outside ones because the weather here varies greatly (only in Texas Image ), but I actually have a plan for my indoors plants, except for my N. x miranda, which should be fine for 13 days since the pot is big enough, and I usually water it about every two weeks anyway. But yeah, there are times when I don't have to water my plants for over a week, and then a few days later I will have to water them every two days, and vice versa.
Maybe try asking a friend to drop by once every few days to water?
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!