FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By GardenNub
http://www.pegasuslighting.com/t5-fluor ... tures.html

I am having trouble finding artificial lighting options. I want something under $50 including the bulbs if possible. Would something like the one above be sufficient or is it underpowered? Any links to things that would work well would be awesome. I like to see all my options before I buy anything, and it seems like searching online just brings up too many random results.
By Matt
Any light "will work" to grow carnivorous plants. Some will just work better. A single T5 bulb isn't going to put out a ton of light, so I'm not sure how effective it would be. I'd probably get a fixture with at least two bulbs. The size of the fixture you get will be decided by how many plants you want to grow under it.
By GardenNub
OK thanks...even though I am trying to stick under a certain budget, there are some nice high output lights with 2 bulbs that i want rele bad lol. Maybe Ill wait till my birthday or something lol!
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this, but I disagree Matt.... :| I've got this light fixture: http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-2-Foot- ... 732&sr=8-1 and it's crazy how much light it puts out! I recommend it, it's a very strong light, sturdy fixture and frame :)
I wasn't saying that a single T5 doesn't put out enough light, but more that I've never used a fixture with a single bulb before and that two bulbs will put out twice as much light as one :). Depending on how many plants you have and how close you put them to the light, a single T5 bulb is more than enough to grow carnivorous plants under.
Matt liked this
By dantt99
Matt wrote:A single T5 bulb isn't going to put out a ton of light, so I'm not sure how effective it would be. I'd probably get a fixture with at least two bulbs.
Okay, I was just saying that I think that they are actually very effective! :)
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:Okay, I was just saying that I think that they are actually very effective! :)
Oh, absolutely! I use T5s exclusively for my indoor growing setups. I have four 4 footers on each shelf that perfectly fits four 10"x20" trays. They work great!
Matt liked this
By GardenNub
Im interested also! My biggest issue seems to be finding the right type of fixture. Though i think this one looks really nice for the price...

So far the best find I've had is this one... http://homeharvest.com/highoutputfluore ... nblaze.htm
Does that look like a good deal/quality product? If so I might even just dish out the money and get one to start some seeds early before the grow season, and to boost my new CPs.

Oh the one Im looking at is the T5-22
By JimsPlants
Matt wrote:
dantt99 wrote:Okay, I was just saying that I think that they are actually very effective! :)
Oh, absolutely! I use T5s exclusively for my indoor growing setups. I have four 4 footers on each shelf that perfectly fits four 10"x20" trays. They work great!
Matt, i would love it if you could please put up a few pic's of your current indoor set up if you get a chance.
JimsPlants liked this
By HarrisAz
im with James :)
u seem to have very nice plants grown indoors under lights like your cephies and helis :)

Harris
By Matt
JimsPlants wrote:Matt, i would love it if you could please put up a few pic's of your current indoor set up if you get a chance.
OK, I'll do that. I have four indoor growing areas: one terrarium, two grow racks for deflasked plants and one for cultures. I'll try to snap some photos of each.

I realized I mistyped above. I don't use T5s on the racks, just in the terrarium. I use T8s on the grow racks.
Matt liked this
By HarrisAz
Matt,what light u use for your in vitro cultures?
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!