FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Subarashi
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PB ... _qh_dp_hza

Hello, everyone! This will be my first foray into attempting to germinate some Drosera Capensis seeds. I'm using a small seedling tray with a cover. Will the above listed bulb work for germination or would this 50w bulb work better https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NM682K/re ... B06XZ29G31? Thank you, for your help!
By SundewWolf
Either one should be fine for capensis since they don't need *too much* light. But unfortunately I don't think you will get a satisfying answer. From what I can tell there is not really a good correlation between the bulb's wattage rating and light output. You would think the higher wattage would have a higher light output, but this is not always that case since the different LEDs can vary in their efficiency, so the only way to tell for certain which one is better would be to buy both bulbs and test them with a PAR meter. I supposed that's possible, and you can just return the one that is not as good. But, as mentioned, either one should work even if one is slightly worse than the other. I bought bulbs like the ones you mentioned on eBay for $10 (they were 30W) and put them over my Heli terrarium and everything has grown decently (especially the H. sarracenioides which is all I really care about). I don't have a clue as to any specifics of the lights I'm using, just tested it on half the terrarium and observed the growth which was healthy and colorful enough to leave me satisfied.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!