FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Goingbuggy2015
Want to transplant small supermarket bought vft but i dont know if this peat is good
Attachments:
Screenshot_20170713-174511.png
Screenshot_20170713-174511.png (617.92 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
By Nick
Folks generally stay away from coco peat. IIRC, it has a decent amount of residual solutes and it's tough to get it to favorable conditions for carnivorous plant growing.

Sometimes they carry Better Gro orchid moss which works fairly well. You could also pick up Premier peat moss, but it only comes in GIANT quantities and you'd need to mix it with perlite or silica sand in order to get proper aeration/drainage.

The FTS also carries NZ LFSM which is generally considered the best growth media.

On Amazon, you can find Spagmoss which is compressed NZ LSFM. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly if you go this route.

EDIT: To be safe, always rinse your media before putting your plants in it, no matter the supplier.
Nick liked this
By nimbulan
Coco peat is unfortunately usually washed in seawater and is very difficult to clean well enough to use for CPs. I saw a brand advertised recently as having a "low" sodium content of 1,875 ppm - and it's usually recommended to stay below 50.
By riveraXVX
I've seen some people who use peatless mediums to plant their CPs in I've seen too many people say not to to bother trying it since the other options are affordable enough and not that hard to find (YMMV)
By Tryner78
I saw someone had germinated drosera seeds with it before, but he had soaked and washed it extensively. I'd advise against it. They sell compressed sphagnum on amazon- it comes in a brick and you soak it. I have some on the way to transfer my poor spatulata into.

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Hey gang! So I think the humidifier I have is goi[…]

Not what you would expect...

Nothing to do with the condiment cup/urine sample.[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!