FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Zagotech
Hi, I have planted my first venus fly trap seeds in this terrarium. I have made a layer of small stones at the bottom then i have placed wet spaghnum moss on top of it and have sprinkled some seeds on the moss. Where the terrarium is i don't get much sunlight because i dont have a south facing window in my appartement. Is it good idea to have a grow light ? Will they grow ? I need tips because im not still new to this. Thanks in advance !Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
Venus Flytraps do not grow well in a terrarium as adults, they wither away and die rather quickly. In a terrarium, seeds will likely not even germinate. If they do, the seedlings will quickly die due to lack of sunlight.
Venus Flytraps need direct, unfiltered sunlight to the tune of 4 to 6 hours a day. Glass filters sunlight, and window glass, with its coatings to block UV and such, will filter it even more. You can have Flytraps on the sunniest of windowsills, outside of a terrarium, and they'll survive for a time, but will probably slowly decline and die within a year or so. Even a cloudy day is still better than a sunny windowsill.
The stones are an issue as well. They'll likely leach minerals into the media which will also kill Flytraps over time.
My suggestion would be to remove the seeds from the terrarium and sow them on Sphagnum moss in a pot. Depending on where you are in the world, Northern Hemisphere: you may have to put that pot on the sunniest windowsill you have for the winter and hope that any seedlings you get survive long enough to be put outside in the Spring. Southern Hemisphere: as long as the temperature stays above freezing, put it outside for direct sunlight.
By Zagotech
ChefDean wrote:Venus Flytraps do not grow well in a terrarium as adults, they wither away and die rather quickly. In a terrarium, seeds will likely not even germinate. If they do, the seedlings will quickly die due to lack of sunlight.
Venus Flytraps need direct, unfiltered sunlight to the tune of 4 to 6 hours a day. Glass filters sunlight, and window glass, with its coatings to block UV and such, will filter it even more. You can have Flytraps on the sunniest of windowsills, outside of a terrarium, and they'll survive for a time, but will probably slowly decline and die within a year or so. Even a cloudy day is still better than a sunny windowsill.
The stones are an issue as well. They'll likely leach minerals into the media which will also kill Flytraps over time.
My suggestion would be to remove the seeds from the terrarium and sow them on Sphagnum moss in a pot. Depending on where you are in the world, Northern Hemisphere: you may have to put that pot on the sunniest windowsill you have for the winter and hope that any seedlings you get survive long enough to be put outside in the Spring. Southern Hemisphere: as long as the temperature stays above freezing, put it outside for direct sunlight.
Okay thank you for your suggestion !

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!