FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By LF42
What if we take VFT plants and seeds and we put them in a temperate climate swamps in Europe where sundews are growing, can the VFT be introduced and grow in the wild in Europe like in Carolina?
By ChefDean
Maybe, but if it's public land, you'll likely violate several laws regarding the introduction of non-native species. If it's private property, that depends on laws in whatever part of Europe your thinking about. Some countries may have laws restricting non-native species everywhere, others may not care at all.
By Huntsmanshorn
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but as ChefDean indicates, it can be something of a no-no. I have read of it being introduced in Europe already, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was, but I can't seem to get any concrete info on the subject. Strangely enough, people don't seem to like to talk about this kind of thing.
By steve booth
I grow most of mine outdoors in the UK so it can be done, however, that doesn't mean it should be done. It will change the balance of the local biosphere and who knows what that could do. There are several areas of the UK where Sarracenia purpurea have been introduced and have to be removed regularly, they get all the plants removed, but there are always seeds that start the circle again.

Cheers
Steve
By Hendre
CP's in places like Albion Bog are a real pain in the butt. Don't screw around with local ecology, enjoy your nice plants in the confines of your collection :D
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!