FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
I recently went to Hong Kong and tracked down wild Drosera oblanceolata (plant description here). D. oblanceolata is a species of sundew native to South Eastern China. In cultivation the most widely available variety appears to originate from Sunset Peak in Hong Kong. Currently, it isn't super common in the hobby and there seems to be some confusion towards whether or not many of the plants cultivated are 'true' (or just mislabelled D. spatulata as is often the case :P).

In Hong Kong, the plants grow on the tops of certain peaks (intentionally being vague here). The natural habitat appears to be sunny, rocky, grassy meadows that are above the forest line. The plants occur in exposed niches such as rocky patches and bare slopes. The water source is probably entirely from precipitation - the elevation means that the habitat is often covered by fog and cloud; at night dew may also form (I did notice my breath fogging up as the sun set, indicating high humidity).

Image of the habitat

Drosera oblanceolata

Drosera oblanceolata

Drosera oblanceolata

Drosera spatulata occurs side-by-side with D. oblanceolata.

Drosera spatulata from the same location

There appears to be extensive gene flow and hybridisation between the local D. oblanceolata and D. spatulata populations. Both species occur concurrently and many plants that represent a spectrum of intermediates between the two species occur. Nonetheless, pure (or at least pure-looking) plants of both species can be found.

Intermediate of Drosera oblanceolata and Drosera spatulata. Note the broad, paddle shaped leaves reminiscent of D. spatulata and the elevated growth of D. oblanceolata

Intermediate of Drosera oblanceolata and Drosera spatulata. Note the broad, paddle shaped leaves reminiscent of D. spatulata and the elevated growth of D. oblanceolata

Conversely, this plant has D. oblanceolata-like leaves and flat growth

Further down the mountain, in a water seepage, a dark red form of D. spatulata can be found. I did not find any D. oblanceolata here. However, the intermediate plants can also be found.

Dark red D. spatulata (top) and hybrid (bottom)

The intermediates are quite similar to the plant known as Drosera sp. 'Lantau Island' in cultivation

The intermediates are quite similar to the plant known as Drosera sp. 'Lantau Island' in cultivation

As a bonus, here's a wild Nepenthes mirabilis I tracked down growing alongside a river.
fattytuna, fattytuna, fattytuna and 1 others liked this
By David F
Did you collect any of the spatulata seeds? The spatulata form from Hong Kong is gone from cultivation it would seem (remember "ruby slipers"?). Fantastic photos, this is a site I've always wondered about so thanks for the overview photos and the attention to detail on the intermediates.
By David F
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Cool! I wish there were CP's near me.
I wouldn't collect the seeds. Isn't that poaching?

I don't know what Hong Kong's China rules would be in that case. China in general doesn't seem highly protective of their wildlife. Hong Kong is governed differently and I can't be too sure. Were they poached to get into cultivation the first time? And on the other hand "poaching" some seeds from D. spatulata is not going to do much in a wild population. Not that I want to get into a discussion about poaching-- since I'm fairly certain we're all not prepared for a talk about poaching Drosera seeds in a foreign country.

So yes and no?
By fattytuna
David F wrote:Did you collect any of the spatulata seeds? The spatulata form from Hong Kong is gone from cultivation it would seem (remember "ruby slipers"?). Fantastic photos, this is a site I've always wondered about so thanks for the overview photos and the attention to detail on the intermediates.
No worries, glad you enjoyed the photos. There really isn't much info on the species online so hopefully the post helps.

I didn't collect any seed - the plants weren't in flower anyway and I don't consider D. spatulata 'special' enough to warrant collecting since so many forms grow naturally here in sydney haha :P
By David F
fattytuna wrote:
David F wrote:Did you collect any of the spatulata seeds? The spatulata form from Hong Kong is gone from cultivation it would seem (remember "ruby slipers"?). Fantastic photos, this is a site I've always wondered about so thanks for the overview photos and the attention to detail on the intermediates.
No worries, glad you enjoyed the photos. There really isn't much info on the species online so hopefully the post helps.

I didn't collect any seed - the plants weren't in flower anyway and I don't consider D. spatulata 'special' enough to warrant collecting since so many forms grow naturally here in sydney haha :P

Excellent point, spatulata from the mainland tend to be beautiful and somewhat vigorous. I quite enjoy the Australian forms now that I've had a chance to grow them. There are so many unexplored varieties of spatulata which seem truly different. The entire complex gobbles up so many widespread and well known sundews, yet so many are unknown to our cultivation. Many of the rare highly sought after sundews are inextricably related to colonization events of D. spatulata. Truly an amazing species.
David F liked this

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!