FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By beckhamlim24
I am beckham. I am only 13 years old. I like to take care of interesting plants, and very creative. I also don't know why am i name beckham. I always spend alot alot of money on my hobby. I was hoping that i could also open a Carnivorous Plant Shop just like Matt and Steve.
By tish
beckhamlim24 wrote:I am beckham. I am only 13 years old. I like to take care of interesting plants, and very creative. I also don't know why am i name beckham. I always spend alot alot of money on my hobby. I was hoping that i could also open a Carnivorous Plant Shop just like Matt and Steve.
Big dream for a small boy, but let me know when it's achieved. I'll drop by to support!! :)
By beckhamlim24
tish wrote:
beckhamlim24 wrote:I am beckham. I am only 13 years old. I like to take care of interesting plants, and very creative. I also don't know why am i name beckham. I always spend alot alot of money on my hobby. I was hoping that i could also open a Carnivorous Plant Shop just like Matt and Steve.
Big dream for a small boy, but let me know when it's achieved. I'll drop by to support!! :)
Are you selling any plants now?
By tish
Nope. I'm more of a keeper, don't really sell , but even if I wanted. I only have a 1cm vft , a small cephalotus and some Drosera and Dionae sowed seed which nobody wants. Why not take a look at flytrap store?
By beckhamlim24
They dont ship to singapore :( Only flytrapstore international does. Anyway, where did you got your cephalotus from?
By Goodkoalie
Same for me, in facr, i just started to sell my plants, and of course, i keep my eyes open for free stuff. Also i want to open a sarracenia shop oneday.
By beckhamlim24
Goodkoalie wrote:
Same for me, in facr, i just started to sell my plants, and of course, i keep my eyes open for free stuff. Also i want to open a sarracenia shop oneday.
I will drop by and support too!
beckhamlim24 liked this
By Daniel_G
I think a lot of us kids have the same ambition, namely a store.
However, you must remember that (over here at least) horticulture isn't a very well paid profession and that starting up a nursery is expensive and will take a long time to make profits.

Don't let me dissuade you though, if you have a dream then work towards it!
Daniel_G liked this
By Cthulhu
I never realized how many of us have so much in common! I also don't think I took the time to properly introduce myself (I just jumped right in!) so I'll start here.

My name is Nina, by profession I am a family photographer but I also spend a lot of my nights working as a seamstress -- and a fully functioning toy repair hospital for my friends adorable little boys (they truly believe I can fix anything, I do my best not to disappoint), and I guess in reality I am a jack-of-all-trades hobbyist. I do all things needle art related and have a strong desire to create and capture.

I actually met my husband online using a chat program (odigo) that allowed you to view the same webpage as other users and as luck would have it, he was browsing the same camera I was at the very same time, I messaged him to get some opinions on it and 2yrs later we were engaged! (He was in California and I am in Michigan, he made the romantic notion and moved to be with me), we were married in 2005. We have a little dog (she's half yorkie and half maltese) that we love as if she were our child, yeah, I am one of those people.. but she's pretty well behaved and she's clean, I promise.

I'm obsessed with vampire & zombie lit and tv.. (True Blood & Walking Dead respectively, I am obsessed.. as in I watch them on loops, I have all the nerd gear, and I even throw premier and finale bashes at my place).. I used to have a large aquarium but had to let it go when we moved into our apartment.. but I am hoping one day to venture into a very large salt water aquarium... I got my first VFT when I was 5, I am pretty sure I killed it immediately but I was hooked.. anytime I saw one in a store, I bought it. I followed all of those same bad instructions everyone else does before they find FTC ;) I'm now growing mostly to trade and sell among friends and fellow hobbyists.

I also started running last year and hope to make it into a few 5K's this year, the color run and the zombie dash. In addition to all that other stuff I am also a hoop dancer, and its exactly what it sounds like, I dance with and through hula hoops.. I can use multiple hoops (you've all seen this I am sure?) and I am now expanding on to different forms of contact juggling .... I am obsessed with hummingbirds. I care for them every year. I look forward to spring just for their arrival (and now for bringing my VFT's out of dormancy!).
By Matt
Thanks for the introduction Nina! Sounds like you lead a full and fun life. Glad to hear you started running. I just ended my running career and started my swimming career a year or so ago. I miss running badly, but swimming has filled the hole in my life left from running.

Great photo of the humming bird!
By Cthulhu
Thanks Matt! I think I am one of those people that if I am not doing something I don't feel useful.

I really LOVE swimming! We used to have a pool but the house we bought is in one of those 'housing communities' which has all those nasty home owners association rules and we can't have one :( We have a community pool that I keep thinking about going to but it sounds like its a place for young kids (water slides and all that) so I am still looking for somewhere to go.

I put running off for so long because I have a bad knee but when I started running on actual pavement, I didn't have any issues (a vast improvement over a treadmill)! I love it! Being in Michigan I have to stop in the winter, and that really bums me out! I don't enjoy treadmill running the same way as being outdoors. I have a couple of friends who just ran that 26.2 mile marathon in Baltimore.. they are really inspiring to me.
By Volle
Slender Man wrote:I am called Slenderman. I live in the forest by your home, where I stalk little children and lonely elderly.
i don't have a forest near me C:

Edit: epic fail
By Matt
Cthulhu wrote:I really LOVE swimming!
Me too! Too bad you can't find anywhere to go near you. There are lots and lots of really great swimmer in Michigan. Hopefully you can track down a pool to go to. Have you looked into Masters Swimming? Maybe you could swim all winter and run all summer! Like you, I don't really enjoy treadmill running, though I did it from time to time when I ran. The great outdoors, especially trail running, is the best!
Cthulhu wrote:I have a couple of friends who just ran that 26.2 mile marathon in Baltimore.. they are really inspiring to me.
I did some really long runs/races. While they're great accomplishments, I wouldn't recommend doing them more than once or continually running long distances. It will catch up to you if you already have a bad knee. That was the same issue I had.
By Sander
Well, i've been here now for a while so let me tell you something about my background.

I'm 23 years old and doing a bachelor in medical and biological laboratory studies.
Im currently in my last year and working on my graduation project at the Royal Dutch Insitute for Sea Research.
The project is about: newly (first ever) isolated Arctic Micromonas pusilla virus classification and i'm looking at the effects of Arctic glacial melt due to global warming, mainly light intensity and sedimentation.

I like sports, and did tried multiple sports: swimming (21 diplomas), athletics, shooting (airgun, 10m match), and pushups/situps/squats/dumbell.
Im interested in chemistry, biology, engineering, pc's (hard and software), survival and outdoor.
Since i cant sit still for very long, i have done a lot of projects,
-Homemade outdoor knife, made out of high carbon O2 steel, whit handle made of carbon fibre, sheet of kydex and as a finish even parkerized (chemical weapon blackening) the steel to prevent rust.
-Homemade airgun stock, currently working on that one
-Homemade burning laser
-Started on a homemade IR laser night vision illuminator.
-My own tobacco plants, among other plants, hehe.
-And currently ordered the materials to make my own led light
-Last but not least, carnivorous plants :)

I also got a pet, which is some sort of salamander, which is 11 years old or so and have had hamsters, rats and guinea pigs before.
Ow, and i own a bike, an aprilia RS50, with the following setup:
74cc Polini W-inlet, flowtuned.
21 mm Dellortho carb with malossi power filter
Jollymoto exhaust
Doppler racing crankshaft, bearings and rear adjustable suspension spring.
Currently going around 130 km/h, although i do drive with sense, for my own and others safety.
And its not allowed to go any faster then 45km/h.

Oh, and i was looking into making pure capsaicin, but after looking it up, i decided not to do so (u will need a full body suit.

Well, thats about it.
Sander liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!