FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cpfan168
The leaf that I have floating in distilled water has sprouted about 4 plantets of varying size. It hasn't developed roots yet.
I was wondering if it's better to wait until it develops roots in water before transferring it to a potting mix, OR if's it's possible/ advisable or better (ie root more easily when it's laid on top of potting medium )to place them on top of potting medium now. Thanks !
By Coco
I may be wrong but I don't think they form roots when Drosera is propagated through leaf cuttings in the water tray/tube method. I've planted Drosera cuttings when the first plantlet has appeared and it's worked so far. Just make sure to bag them up after you transfer them to a pot of a media of your choice.
By CarnivoresUnite
xanthoparmelia wrote:They will eventually form roots. I've moved both rooted and unrooted cuttings without issue.

Honestly, with capensis, i've haphazardly handled seedlings, sprouts, cuttings of all sizes and there's never been a problem. They really are weeds.
Eventually, if I ever grow enough to try it, I am going to try the spaghetti test method on my Capensis plantlets. They truly are tough little you know whats..

Artwork on the wall.. oh yeah..
By cpfan168
I'll wait a little bit longer. If there still isn't any sign of root development in another month I'll transfer them over to a potting mix. Btw what is the "sphaghetti test " method ?? I'm new to cp jargon lol. Thanks for everyone's imput.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!