FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By dustincarter19
I have a trap that is half black is it ok to go ahead and cut it off or should I just leave it on until it falls itself.
By Anrich
Ahoy!!
See, the black part of the leaf is dead and not producing anything other than mold and fungi.
So, with a sterilized razor ( clean with Meth. spirits and water), cut the little stem between the trap and leaf.
As long as the humidity is not to high, and no presence of fungi or spores, then the cut shall heal quickly.
do ask any question!!
By Budukai
Just cut it off, plane and simple. Leave the petiole as is, it too will turn black over time but leave it to it's business until more then half is black.
By Adam
I'm not sure if such sterile tools need to be used. But i guess you can err on the side of safety.
By Matt
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have so many plants, that I usually don't trim anything off until the leaf is entirely dead and dry and just pulls off easily. If you have proper growing conditions for your flytrap, leaving dead or dying leaves on it won't hurt it at all. If you keep the humidity too high and there is little air movement, the dead traps can mold. In that case, snip them when they are all brown.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!