FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ponyta
Hi all. I am a new keeper of VFTs and have a healthy one that has been growing for a while now (maybe 2 months?). It currently has 3 traps and a 4th still growing, and I have this urge to start feeding it insects but (and this may sound silly, forgive me) the inside of the traps are still green, not pink as I see on VFTs everywhere else. Trigger hairs are visible, soil mixture is moist and it gets 4-5 hours of sunlight per day. Should I begin offering food or is it still too early? I have searched and can't find a direct answer to this - just steps on how to feed.

tl;dr -> Can I offer my VFT food even though the inside of the traps are still green, not pink?

Thanks!
By Shadowtski
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Venus Fly Traps need a very high light level to develop that nice Red color inside the traps. Direct sunlight is optimum. It is very difficult to achieve this light level if you're growing them inside. But if the traps are fully developed, and don't look etiolated, then you have enough light for them to survive. A South facing window is not too bright for them. The more light, the better.

How big are the traps on your plant? If they're a 1/4 inch long or more, they're big enough to fungus gnats and fruit flies. If they're 1/2 to 3/4 inch, they can trap flies.

I don't feed mine. I put them outside in Spring until Fall and they catch plenty of prey on their own. The plant can photosynthesize if given enough light.

If you're going to feed it, make sure the food is not more than 1/3 the trap size.

Good growing,
Mike
By ponyta
They are mayyyybe 1/4" or less, so maybe I'm just being a little too antsy.
By VFT Lover
Welcome ponyta. IF you just got the flytrap, and if you bought it from the store, they are probably not pink on the inside because they don't give them nearly as much light as they need. so keep it in very bright spot and over time, if everything else will be optimum, they will develop nice pink or even red traps in full sun, but that depends on type of VFT.

now about the food. IF you keep your plant inside, you should probably feed it 3 or 4 times a month with fairly big flies or other insects. but if it can catch it's own food, don't feed it because it will catch it's own.

Have a nice day,
Luka.
Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!