FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Leonardlow
Hi good day everyone. My vft flower stalk has grown taller everyday since the past couple weeks. May I know when is the perfect time to cut it off ? Flower stalk measuring at 4 inches
Attachments:
D7EDCA1B-3C93-4354-889E-D8EC321F3C91.jpeg
D7EDCA1B-3C93-4354-889E-D8EC321F3C91.jpeg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 2450 times
By oval
It looks like it is pretty far along, almost ready to flower. You might as well let it flower now that it has expended that much energy. Maybe some of the more expert growers will chime in with a more authoritative answer.
Panman liked this
By Supercazzola
Was your intent to use it to propagate new plants ? If so that would explain why he let it grow so tall. I don’t know the answer of when is a good time to cut it, so I will follow this thread. Maybe @Matt can answer ?
By Matt
Leonardlow wrote:May I know when is the perfect time to cut it off ?
If you simply want to get rid of it and prevent the flytrap from flowering at all, you should cut it off when small. It's pretty advanced now, so I think it is past the prime for cutting for any reason, propagation or otherwise.

The plant looks healthy, so you might as well not cut and pollinate the flowers instead.
Supercazzola liked this
By Leonardlow
It took merely 2 weeks to grow from the baby stalk till this tall. Should have just cut it off when I discovered at the first place. guess I’ll just let it be for the time being. Lol thanks Matt :D
By Matt
Leonardlow wrote:It took merely 2 weeks to grow from the baby stalk till this tall.
Yep! Flower stalks grow very quickly!!
Leonardlow wrote:Should have just cut it off when I discovered at the first place. guess I’ll just let it be for the time being. Lol thanks Matt
No worries! Your plant is very healthy so allowing it to flower won't hurt it. It will just set it back a bit. The plants we allow to flower are about 6 weeks behind the rest of the plants in terms of growth. Not a big deal!

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!