FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By CPhunter101
Hello everyone, I was just wondering when is the best time of the year to purchase sarracenia, nepenthes, dionea, and drosera. I've heard about winter being the best time to purchase sarracenia and temperate drosera. Are there any other seasons for specific CPs? Here's my idea of the best time to buy CPs according to season (so far).

Sarracenia + temperate drosera - winter (dormancy sales)
Dionea + drosera - spring
Dionea + drosera + nepenthes - summer
Sarracenia + temperate drosera + dionea - fall (fall sale)

If anyone has any other ideas/lists please post! :D
By Nepenthes0260
For me, sarrs are best to buy in the winter when they don’t have any top growth. Top growth is usually damaged through shipping anyways and usually has to be chopped. Tuberous dews should be bought when dormant, in the summer. Helis and HL Neps are best bought in the spring or fall because at that time temps are the most favorable for them. They can be shipped in the winter too though with a heat pack and in the summer with a cold pack.
Supercazzola, Matt, Apollyon liked this
By Matt
As @Nepenthes0260 mentioned, Sarrs are best purchased from November (after shedding most of their pitchers) through March. That avoids damaging any new growth on them.

Venus flytraps are fine to ship any time of year.

Cephalotus shouldn't be shipped in summer when temperatures are hot, but are fine shipping any other time of year.
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!