FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I just purchased a very pretty Bnfd. Gilded Tower "Mystic Maze", which is apparently a hybrid orchid similar to oncidiums, and I'm afraid I may have disturbed her roots more than I should have. I know repotting a blooming orchid can be a bit of a risk, but I was concerned she might not be potted very well, as I got her at Lowe's.
Her root ball is square, and contained nothing but sphagnum as far as substrate. This is clearly what she was grown in, and she was then removed from the square pot and placed in a round pot with more sphagnum stuffed around her roots. She had some dead roots, which I removed, and I then attempted to fit the root ball into the nasal cavity of a cow skull. It didn't work, and, unfortunately, some of the roots were broken in the process. I underestimated the fragility of this particular orchid's roots, even the healthy ones.
I've put her back in the original pot, with sphagnum loosely packed around her roots, and given her a nice long drink. I'm hoping she won't drop any flowers, but, if she does, when will that be? Tonight? In a week?

TLDR: was too rough with the roots of a blooming orchid, would like to know when I'll know if it's going to drop flowers.

(also, I'm referring to the orchid as 'she' because I saw this on one of the orchid care sites I visited and thought it was cute)
By bijillon
The flowers will start to wilt and will quickly drop, this seems to be a pattern with lowes as I've had the same situation. I would recommend bark in with the moss as it can lead to rot (I know from experience) or even just some perlite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
So, if the flowers are all un-wilted as of 3 hours later, does that mean they'll probably stay? I didn't break any of the roots off, though some of them definitely snapped and I'm not sure how well they can transmit water.

The root ball is entirely full of sphagnum, nothing else, and is clearly what this orchid was being grown in at the orchid factory. I'm a bit suspicious of it for long-term use, as there were some dead roots in the center, but I've also read that this type of orchid likes to be wetter than most. I'll certainly keep a careful eye on things, but I think the sphagnum will be at least acceptable until she's done blooming.

I hope the flowers stay. I can't get a good photo because all the natural light is gone, but this is a very pretty orchid, and a lovely yellow-orange contrast to a dark purple mini moth that I have blooming.
By bijillon
You will know within a day or two but maybe even longer and if the orchid is in too much schlock from transit it will also drop the flowers. I think it's perfectly fine to leave your orchid in the little ball until it's done but get it out asap. I have a paphiopedilum that needs to be repotted but it's flowering and the retailers put foam and sponge in it to air it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!