What will germinate first?

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here
bigbowlowrong

What will germinate first?

by bigbowlowrong » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:30 pm

So, last Wednesday I sowed three types of Drosera in four pots full of dead NZLFS (and maybe 30-50% perlite). As of now none of them have germinated (as far as I can see) so I thought I'd defer to forum members' knowledge and experience.

Two pots of spatulata.

One pot of capensis 'red'.

One pot of binata multifida.

They are outside in a little mini greenhouse, getting dappled afternoon sunlight. I mist them daily, and they are standing in a very small amount of tap water (yes, tap water, TDS in my suburb is 50ppm max). Weather today is a low of 9oC and a top of 16oC, getting up to the mid 20s in the next few days. It's spring down here in Melbourne, Australia.

My bet would be on the capensis going by reputation but as this is my first seed attempt I don't have any real idea.

So put your thoughts in, will keep you updated! :D

Liam107

Re: What will germinate first?

by Liam107 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Yeah definitely the capensis or spatulata probably the capensis

bigbowlowrong

by bigbowlowrong » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Checked again today (as I do every day)... nothing yet! Will post pictures the second I see something I know is a Drosera seedling.

bigbowlowrong

by bigbowlowrong » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:32 am

It looks like the binata seeds are germinating first. I see a practically microscopic sprout of green from a few of the seeds that are IMPOSSIBLE to photograph. Definitely not mould, algae or fungus which I was worried about (stopped standing them in water for this reason). When they get a bit more substantial I'll update.

Nothing from capensis or spathulata yet. I am germinating the seeds in what equates to a tropical environment with my Nepenthes which may explain why they're taking longer (they're more cold temperate than subtropical like the binata).

Goodkoalie

by Goodkoalie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:41 am

I have found that if sown at the same time, D. intermedia, capensis "alba", capensis, routundufolia, fillifomris, indica, binta, and spathula. Spathula and capensis are both subtropical plants, that do not need a dromancy period. It also has to do with how old the seeds are, if they were selfed or cross pollonated, and more.
- Andrew Goffinet

If i helped you in any way please use the thanks
The plants i grow
My Blog
Always Looking for extra sarracenia

bigbowlowrong

by bigbowlowrong » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 am

The binata is sourced from southern/central Queensland (AU) the the spatulata from south-west Victoria (AU). Harvested three months ago. Really surprised the capensis is behind, honestly, but I have no idea when they were collected.

bigbowlowrong

by bigbowlowrong » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:54 am

The vast majority of the binata seeds are now sprouting, still nothing from capensis or spathulata. This is day 14.

bigbowlowrong

by bigbowlowrong » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Nothing to report yet, binata still sprouting and the rest still chilling.

Will be getting a pack of filiformis var. filiformis tomorrow. If these germinate before the caps and spats I'll know something is definitely up!

Return to Sundews, Rainbow Plants, and Dewy Pines