FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By frog
What Unregistered Dionaea cultivars do you expect will become registered cultivars anytime in the near future and why? Also what are the requirements to becoming a registered cultivar? I've looked around and seen nothing on the subject any info would be helpful. Okay sorry I did find this sorry about the copy and past. Which plants are chosen to be named as cultivars is simply a matter of convenience as the category was created to serve the practical needs of horticulture, agriculture and forestry.
By David F
The reason a cultivar gets registered has to do with the (and the name slips my mind) seems like the acronym is ispcs or something. Anyways they deal with all the "cultivars"

It works like this. You get a picture of your plant, and an extensive description, usually with pictures to match. They accept ones I've seen with (and usually what Matt does when he registers his) the different growth characteristics over each growth season, descriptions of the cilia, and blade (trap) of the plant.

So unregistered cultivars or named varities, make a fine line between what we can say is "typical." "Big mouth" for instance, the general description. Large leaf blades on small short petiols, shorter cilia, and deep red to purple coloration. This could be said about many other fly traps as well.

I think you are right, and or would, agree with you about how they are categorized, merely to meet the practical needs of horticulure. They are chosen for cultivars because of their unique characteristics, that set them apart from other fly traps(typicals) because if a fly trap can be explained in such a way, that it can be associated with most, or a lot of typicals, it will probably not become a registered cultivar.

Hope this helps! :)
David F liked this
By dantt99
David F wrote:The reason a cultivar gets registered has to do with the (and the name slips my mind) seems like the acronym is ispcs or something. Anyways they deal with all the "cultivars"
ICPS :D
David F wrote:and usually what Matt does when he registers his
I think Matt has never registered any of his plants as cultivars, as he (and I agree) finds the system to have too many flaws and prefers to keep his plants unnamed clones...
I hope that is right :P
dantt99 liked this
By Matt
I've never attempted to register a flytrap clone as an officially registered cultivar, but I may someday. Steve is the one that finds the system to have quite a few flaws (and he's right and I agree), but I do think that there is some merit to the system and I hope to register at least one cultivar some day (if the plant is sufficiently different enough from other registered clones) for the experience of doing it.
Matt liked this
By frog
(It took hours to find this but this is also some of the kind of info I was looking for)
Re: Cross Teeth
written by Matt, April 10, 2009
I think that either "Cross Teeth" or "Long Red Fingers" will be a registered cultivar someday. I agree that they are worthy of cultivar status. They are definitely unique enough. There are other plants that I think are unique enough also, such as "Cudo".
frog liked this
By Matt
Yeah, "Cross Teeth" and "Long Red Fingers" look a lot alike, but they are fairly unique looking flytraps. They could certainly warrant cultivar status. I'm kind of surprised no one has nominated one of them yet.
By David F
Matt, I must have though that you registered them, because I probably related me linking from your website description of the plant, then when using your other links, to go to the official registration description right from your sight, made me think you did a few.
ADHD moment, hahaha
;)
By Matt
Daniel_G wrote:I thinks Matt's Sawtooth x Fused tooth Will!
Hah, well, it's too young to know what it will grow into, but it does look promising. And it's actually Fused Tooth x Sawtooth (Fused Tooth was the mother plant). I also made the opposite cross (Sawtooth x Fused Tooth) and the seedlings all look typical so far.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!