FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Thevenusflytrap 2211
:cry: ok, so I have had it for about 3 weeks now, and the heads are turning black, and falling off! I've fed it a worm, and it has slowly gone downhill from there. I've also watered it with rainwater, and put it in my office. What am I doing wrong?
By Earthy
1) how wet are you keeping it? you'll have to watch the amount of wetness since it's inside.
2) how much/what kind of light is it getting?
3) I wouldn't feed it worms..might be a bit too "fatty"...
By Dematerialize
A Venus Flytrap does not belong in an office. It's very likely it is getting nowhere the amount of light it requires. They grow in areas where they get direct sun all day long and office lights/a small window won't cut it.
By Thevenusflytrap 2211
My office gets a general amount of sunlight each day, and at first I didn't know, but I placed in water for a couple of days, and now I have it above water. I live in North Carolina, so we don't have many flies, so what else can i feed it?
By Earthy
they need the intensity of sunlight that will make you squint and your eyes water when you walk outside. the only time they can probably get away with inside sun-through-a-window brightness is during dormancy when they aren't growing very fast and are resting.
By SerMuncherIV
Thevenusflytrap 2211 wrote:My mom says that it's bad for me to put it outside. Should I leave it in the rain outside?
Why exactly is it bad for you to put outside? Don't worry about rain, nothing protects them in the wild. VFTs are native to your state; there are very few excuses for not growing outside all year.
By Earthy
Thevenusflytrap 2211 wrote:My mom says that it's bad for me to put it outside. Should I leave it in the rain outside?
these are most definitely not houseplants. putting them outside after you acclimate them to the sun isn't detrimental to their health; it's actually beneficial. in Nature they are outside and get rained on; so why would it be bad for them lol?
By Ishaha
You live where the last wild Venus flytrap grow. You can basically leave them outside all year round and just have to water them.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!