FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By Newbiegrower17
:?: I been growing my traps I got from homedepot for about a month now what's wrong with them. I repotted them and I use pead moss and peralite all organic. But I currently started to put them under a grow light and don't know if the light is to close or I don't have enough lite. I have pics.
Attachments:
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG (490.56 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG (417.97 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG (409.64 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG (409.64 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
By Fieldofscreams
They look fine to me.

Could use some better pics and a better description of their growing environment though.

You should get them out of that dome thing.
By Newbiegrower17
Well the dome part is my seedlings that I'm trying to germinate. Doing all this for the 1st. Plus I have to put them in dormancy soon. But as far as my light set up I'm just really confused on which color to use red/blue or white and if my 19 watt led light will be strong enough for my plants that I have.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (741.83 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
By Fieldofscreams
Its really not a good idea to be growing them inside unless its a dormancy type setup to get through the winter for people that live in northern climates.

Like all plants they use red and blue the most but honestly I don't think you have strong enough light as it is.

You also cant just put a temperate plant into dormancy. Its a process that takes many months to complete.
By Newbiegrower17
I started to put them outside this week to get them used to the cold hoping that would get them to go into dormancy. But thanks a lot I figured that wasn't enough light for what I'm looking to do. I basically want to grow them under the grow light but my thing was which color and how much light would I actually need. I have about 6-7 plants I'm currently growing.
By Fieldofscreams
Harsh weather is fine. Just don't let the pot freeze solid. This really isn't a plant you want to grow inside. What state are you in?

Like most new growers you are worried about the wrong part of the plant. The most important part is the rhizome and roots. What you have to get right and get right immediately is to make sure the plant is getting the correct photo period for the time of year it is in, make sure the soil is moist but not wet using only distilled, rain or RO water and that you are using the right soil.

Also, don't pull/cut leafs off until they are black and crunchy. The rhizome re-absorbs the nutrients from the dying leaf and uses it for the growth of the new leafs.
By Newbiegrower17
I stay in Baltimore Maryland and the temp can drop to below zero on some nights
. So I also was thinking about using a cold room in the house where no heat goes in and sit
them in the
window
seal. I'm not sure if the can takes temps below 30 and we have many nights in the 20's.
By Newbiegrower17
And thanks for taking the time out to help me with my green thumb that I recently discovered. I know I have lots of questions.
By Fieldofscreams
So your in about the 7B hardiness zone. Not too far off from Wilmington North Carolina's hardiness zone.

You are right in about the area to leave it outside year round. Just have to keep the pot from freezing solid. I would put it in a small cooler outside in the best spot for getting direct sunlight. Then i would put the top on it when you are expecting below freezing temps. Then on nice days i would take the top off or take it out and set it on top of the cooler.
By Newbiegrower17
Thanks a lot your are a big help. So I don't want to shock them how do I get them to get used to the cold without shocking the hell out of them by just throwing them out back on my east facing deck. It gets good lighting there.
By Fieldofscreams
Its going to be shocked no matter what you do really. Its been through a ton so far. You might lose quit a few leafs but as long as the new leafs look healthy then the plant is healthy.

Normally in the summer you wouldn't want to throw them out into the sun without acclimating them but this time of year the sun is so low and getting lower everyday that it most likely wont hurt the plant.

The cold wont hurt it.
By Newbiegrower17
What kind of plants do u have. Me I'm growing a cati, a few suclants a few flytaps and a pitcher plant. lol I just started 2 months ago and I can't seem to stop buying plants now a days.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!