FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey everyone (specifically Chef),

What's in the mixed rosettes packet? I tried finding the original post but can't. The reason I ask is because I don't remember there being burmannii in there but one of my seedlings looks like a baby burmannii.
By MaxVft
I ordered it and it seems to be a mix of common/tropical dews (exact list is Capillaris, collinsae, nidiformis, snyderi, spatulata, tokaiensis, "ultramafica fakes", ultramafica x spatulata, and filiformis "Florida Red", filiformis bar Floridana). There are also reportedly sundew rosettes, although all I got were about 30 seeds.
By ChefDean
MaxVft wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:47 am I ordered it and it seems to be a mix of common/tropical dews (exact list is Capillaris, collinsae, nidiformis, snyderi, spatulata, tokaiensis, "ultramafica fakes", ultramafica x spatulata, and filiformis "Florida Red", filiformis bar Floridana).
That's the original mix that ran out before Sundews69 had a chance to get some. The newer pack is donated, so there are a couple fewer species, and no filiformis.
Maxvft wrote:There are also reportedly sundew rosettes, although all I got were about 30 seeds.
They're all sundew rosettes. Rosette refers to the shape that the plant grows in, a rosetted form.
Sundews69 wrote:Hey everyone (specifically Chef),

What's in the mixed rosettes packet? I tried finding the original post but can't. The reason I ask is because I don't remember there being burmannii in there but one of my seedlings looks like a baby burmannii.
As seedlings, many sundews look virtually identical. You need to let them grow up.
However, while it is possible that some burmannii are in there, it's unlikely. The donor and I had a discussion specifically about burmannii, and I suggested against it as burmannii tend to sprout and stall, staying smaller, longer than other dews, so they could easily he overgrown and lost.
By evenwind
Unless more's been added to it, there's no snyderi, tokaiensis, burmannii or filiformis. You can expect many types of capillaris and spatulata, collinsae, ultramafica x spatulata, "ultramafica fakes", and warm-growing intermedia. And maybe something else that I don't remember.
ChefDean, Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Here's the seedling that looks like burmannii:
20220805_155559.jpg
20220805_155559.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 2207 times
20220805_155611.jpg
20220805_155611.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 2207 times
By ChefDean
It does have some characteristics of a burmannii, but looks closer to sessilifolia. However, it lacks the very distinctive snap tentacles of a burmannii that would be recognizable, even at this stage.
But, again, we discussed it before the donation and burmannii weren't on the short list, so I don't think it is. While it is still possible, the paths taken to get those seeds to you were intentionally kept away from burmannii.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
ChefDean wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:12 am It does have some characteristics of a burmannii, but looks closer to sessilifolia. However, it lacks the very distinctive snap tentacles of a burmannii that would be recognizable, even at this stage.
But, again, we discussed it before the donation and burmannii weren't on the short list, so I don't think it is. While it is still possible, the paths taken to get those seeds to you were intentionally kept away from burmannii.
Yeah, ok, we'll see how he turns out! (btw, it does have snap tentacles. You just can't see them in the pic)
By ChefDean
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:33 amYeah, ok, we'll see how he turns out! (btw, it does have snap tentacles. You just can't see them in the pic)
I can see snap tentacles, but I also said that plant looks to lack the very distinctive snap tentacles of a burmannii. Many sundews have snap tentacles, but burmannii snappers are three to four times as long as their T1 tentacles.
Yours has what appears to be both types of T1 tentacles, and it also has some longer ones, but they're very sporadic in their placement. Those are all characteristics, but it's too small to be certain that it is, the donor didn't include any that he is aware of, and I kept them in separate storage containers from burmannii.
If it is, it'll be the Virgin Mary of the Mixed Rosettes bag.
Sundews69 liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!