FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nourhan ateout
Hello! I have my vft for about two weeks. I use proper carnivorous soil, distilled water, etc. I attempted to feed it meal worms and the heads turned black the following day! Why is that? I also have some traps that were plump before and are now flat. I have them outside where they get plenty of sun. I live in California so it’s pretty hot right now, today will be 97 degrees! On a side note, I also have a flaming katty that’s turning reddish color on its green leaves. Any tips or ideas why I’m experiencing these issues? Thank you :D
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1351 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1351 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1351 times
By ChefDean
Don't know anything about the Flaming Katty, but the VFT is acclimating to its new environment.
Don't worry about feeding it right now, it only needs to settle in. For the time being, considering the temps, I would put it in a spot that is shaded all day, let it get used to one thing at a time, temps first.
Then, after a couple of weeks, expose it to sun. You could do one hour of sun the first week, two the second, three the third, etc., or you could put it out where it will get six+ hours of direct sun a day. Either way, it's going to look ratty until the new leaves grow that are accustomed to the new environment.
Whatever you do, make sure the media stays very moist at all times.
Good luck.
By Nourhan ateout
Thank you! I assumed I was acclimation, I’m glad I got confirmation! Hopefully it will adjust soon. It’s darn hot here that i water it and the sun dries it up!! I know that your not supposed to over water and at the same time to not let it get dry. It’s hard to find that balance with this hot weather over here lol
By ChefDean
If you're running into the media drying out, you can keep it in a tray with about 1/2 to one inch of water to keep it moist.
I'm getting 90's F and keeping water in all my VFT trays right now.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!