FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By applecellist
Hi,
I've had this nepenthes hybrid for a little under a month, keeping it in a west-facing window with some LED lights (hence the purple). Watering when the soil feels dry with distilled water, misting daily with distilled wate as well.

I've noticed yellowing dots and some chunks taken out of leaves and pitchers, but I'm most concerned about these brown-edged holes that have started multiplying. I can't see any bugs with the naked eye.

I tried spraying with a diluted neem oil mixture a few days ago and doesn't seem to have done much. Anybody have experience with this?

I should mention it seems otherwise happy--it has new growth--but already some of the new leaves are getting holes. The pest doesn't seem to prefer new or old growth though.

So what should I do to save it? The other thing is that my plant is actually two different plants, and one seems better off than the other. Should I try and repot it, or have they probably already tangled roots? And if I repot, will just spaghnum moss be enough?
Attachments:
20180814_083324 (1).jpg
20180814_083324 (1).jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 3215 times
By qudtlr42101
applecellist wrote:Hi,
I've had this nepenthes hybrid for a little under a month, keeping it in a west-facing window with some LED lights (hence the purple). Watering when the soil feels dry with distilled water, misting daily with distilled wate as well.

I've noticed yellowing dots and some chunks taken out of leaves and pitchers, but I'm most concerned about these brown-edged holes that have started multiplying. I can't see any bugs with the naked eye.

I tried spraying with a diluted neem oil mixture a few days ago and doesn't seem to have done much. Anybody have experience with this?

I should mention it seems otherwise happy--it has new growth--but already some of the new leaves are getting holes. The pest doesn't seem to prefer new or old growth though.

So what should I do to save it? The other thing is that my plant is actually two different plants, and one seems better off than the other. Should I try and repot it, or have they probably already tangled roots? And if I repot, will just spaghnum moss be enough?

It looks like it has been attacked by wild animals. But if it is not the case.. fungi attack. Or some micro organism attack .. like some plant disease .. do they get enough sun light ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
It looks like you Nepenthes is planted in pure sphagnum peat moss. If that's the case, then that could be the reason that your plant is suffering. Usually a mix of long fibered Sphagnum moss and perlite is good for most nepenthes. Peat moss is often too dense for Most carnivorous plants.
By applecellist
They receive both natural and artificial light, and a bunch of it.

I received them potted this way, but I will try repotting into spaghnum moss purely--I'm just worried that the shock will cause them to be even more vulnerable to whatever is hurting them.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Good point on the repotting. You seem to be letting it dry out a little before watering which should help with aeration, so repotting can be stalled until the problem is fixed. Looking back at the picture of your plant, it looks like the leaves are callousing up after being damaged in some way, kind of like how a scab forms on a wound. This really isn't a sign of bad health, so I wouldn't worry until the plant looks like there is something seriously wrong with it.
By qudtlr42101
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:It looks like you Nepenthes is planted in pure sphagnum peat moss. If that's the case, then that could be the reason that your plant is suffering. Usually a mix of long fibered Sphagnum moss and perlite is good for most nepenthes. Peat moss is often too dense for Most carnivorous plants.
Lol. Your comment is a bit similar to mine for the structure of comment lol.

I also agree with repotting with new mix that allows good aeration :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By applecellist
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Good point on the repotting. You seem to be letting it dry out a little before watering which should help with aeration, so repotting can be stalled until the problem is fixed. Looking back at the picture of your plant, it looks like the leaves are callousing up after being damaged in some way, kind of like how a scab forms on a wound. This really isn't a sign of bad health, so I wouldn't worry until the plant looks like there is something seriously wrong with it.
My concern is mostly that it's spreading, and it feels weird to just wait for it to sort itself out.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!