FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By minimao
Hiya all, just wanting to get some wise advice - Frank- my sundew has been happily catching gross bugs for a while and I've just noticed this on him: Image
Sorry if the photo is a bit crap!
I assume it's a flower .. So my question is - do I let him do his thing or do I chop it off or what?
He's never done this before !! Any advice appreciated!! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By minimao
Yeah, in New Zealand. Oh cool , thanks for the advice! I shall let Frank do his thing!! cheers!

By minimao
His tag says d. Filiformus - is that the same deal you think?

By nimbulan
How much light is the plant getting? If it is a typical D. filiformis and has no red coloration at all it needs a lot more. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks more like a D. filiformis than a D. tracyi to me.
nimbulan liked this
By SerMuncherIV
Benurmanii wrote:D. tracyi was originally D. filiformis var. tracyi, but as of recently it was elevated to specie-hood. Judging from the lack of color in the tentacles, you likely have D. tracyi.
Potential IDs should never be given based on something like color...it's also best to avoid trying to ID plants which may be in a questionable state of health in the first place.
By minimao
He gets misted and watered , it's quite damp to the touch , looks dry in the photo though I agreeThe tag said d. Filiformus but was green when I got it . Has lots of new shoots and stuff so seems ok? Gets full sun in north window all day long..

By Earthy
yea, in my experience misting of sundews is a bad thing; I killed off a bunch of seedlings doing that :| best to water when the pot starts getting light...
By Benurmanii
SerMuncherIV wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:D. tracyi was originally D. filiformis var. tracyi, but as of recently it was elevated to specie-hood. Judging from the lack of color in the tentacles, you likely have D. tracyi.
Potential IDs should never be given based on something like color...it's also best to avoid trying to ID plants which may be in a questionable state of health in the first place.
But then how do I tell the difference between filiformis and tracyi? :| I also wondered about the lack of light, but I thought that the glands at the end of the tentacle would be red in stalks that are typically all red, even in a lack of light.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!