FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Newbee
Do flytraps grow better in peat/silica sand or peat/perlite?I had read that silica sand is alkaline and that it takes away from the acidic properties from the peat moss.Is this true?
By RogerMcAllen
I think you are confusing your sands. Argonite sand (beach sand or play sand) is often times alkaline, so it should not be used.

Silica is quartz, which is basically inert. After a good rinse it should have absolutely no effect on pH. The biggest problem with silica is that a lot of the stuff you find will be smooth (rounded edges) and fine grained. Both of these things will cause the sand to pack together tightly, which may actually increase the density of your potting mix and reduce drainage (exactly what you don't want to do). What you really want is a large grained silica sand with sharp edges (like salt crystals).

As far as growing, I am still a noob myself but I think you will find that you can usually find people that like or dislike any potting mix. I think perlite is probably easier to find that a good silica sand. I can't find a good sand locally, so I've stuck to perlite. It has worked great for me so far.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!