What is Dormancy

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
User Avatar
tross

 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:26 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: What is Dormancy

by tross » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Too the above regarding seedling. I have two tiny seedling that I started in spring indoors. I live in Cleveland, OH (Home of sports teams that choke, mistake by the lake... yes, I get it all the time :) ) It can get down into the negative temps here, but typically its anywhere from mid 20F to 40F. I have an unheated garage that I can protect my babies in. Question is that they are small. I would say as big as a pea. What is too small? Or is there a too small and should as at this size just bring them in and give them heat and light and love?

User Avatar
Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20286
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 am
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Thanked: 4944 times in 3976 posts

Re: What is Dormancy

by Matt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:06 pm

tross wrote:What is too small?

Too small for what?
tross wrote:Or is there a too small and should as at this size just bring them in and give them heat and light and love?

All flytraps require a dormancy if they've had a full summer of growing.

User Avatar
howardg

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: What is Dormancy

by howardg » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I am a brande new grower and had another dormancy question. I am in zone 5/6 so probably too cold to keep the flytraps outside without mulching etc. I have seen it suggested to keep them in an unheated garage. I have a detached unheated garage and could keep them there (there are even a few broken windows :).

However, I have also seen it suggested that the plants stay in sunlight or have available sunlight. The garage has a window so it isn't 'pitch black' but the window is right next to a tree and the amount of light that gets in is pretty minimal.

Is this OK or do they need to be sitting in the tray of water with light? I have seen mulching suggested, but wouldn't six or seven inches of mulch (that is what I have seen suggested) actually put the plant in total darkness? Likewise with doing a 'refrigerator dormancy'......no light. So I am confused about the need to provide sunlight during dormancy.

Thanks...this is my first post by the way :)

Howard

User Avatar
bananaman

 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:54 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Thanked: 399 times in 324 posts

Re: What is Dormancy

by bananaman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:55 pm

howardg wrote:I am a brande new grower and had another dormancy question. I am in zone 5/6 so probably too cold to keep the flytraps outside without mulching etc. I have seen it suggested to keep them in an unheated garage. I have a detached unheated garage and could keep them there (there are even a few broken windows :).

However, I have also seen it suggested that the plants stay in sunlight or have available sunlight. The garage has a window so it isn't 'pitch black' but the window is right next to a tree and the amount of light that gets in is pretty minimal.

Is this OK or do they need to be sitting in the tray of water with light? I have seen mulching suggested, but wouldn't six or seven inches of mulch (that is what I have seen suggested) actually put the plant in total darkness? Likewise with doing a 'refrigerator dormancy'......no light. So I am confused about the need to provide sunlight during dormancy.

Thanks...this is my first post by the way :)

Howard


If it’s really cold, they don’t need any light. But if it’s warmer, they do better with some light (because they can still photosynthesize). I’m not entirely sure on where the cutoff is as my winters aren’t cold enough to forego light.

The following users would like to thank bananaman for this post
howardg

User Avatar
howardg

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: What is Dormancy

by howardg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:26 am

Thanks so much. So it seems the amount of light is related to the degree of cold. I’m not really sure quite how cold it will get in the garage. I do know that last winter we had quite a few days where the temps were in the single digits.

Howard

User Avatar
Fieldofscreams

 
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:14 pm
Thanked: 105 times in 99 posts

Re: What is Dormancy

by Fieldofscreams » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Im in zone 5a/b and I put my plants in my attached insulated garage and it still got well below freezing quite a few times in there, pots didn't freeze solid BUT the plant parts above the surface froze repeatedly and slowly died off, some pots looked like there wasn't anything in them at all.

I put them under a Marshydro300 on a astronomical timer so that it comes on at sunrise and turns off at sunset.

They all came right back in the spring, no losses.
Mistakes were made

The following users would like to thank Fieldofscreams for this post
howardg

User Avatar
howardg

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: What is Dormancy

by howardg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Fieldofscreams wrote:Im in zone 5a/b and I put my plants in my attached insulated garage and it still got well below freezing quite a few times in there, pots didn't freeze solid BUT the plant parts above the surface froze repeatedly and slowly died off, some pots looked like there wasn't anything in them at all.

I put them under a Marshydro300 on a astronomical timer so that it comes on at sunrise and turns off at sunset.

They all came right back in the spring, no losses.


My understanding is that it isn't the freezing that is a problem nor the roots freezing in the water but, rather, that rapid swings in the temps and the very cold winds are what might kill them. At least that is what I read. I wouldn't be able to put them under lights in the garage, just whatever little light came in on its own. Or I suppose I could put them outside and mulch them. The garage would be easier though.

Howard

User Avatar
Lukebart02

 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 pm
Location: Brunswick , Ohio
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Re: What is Dormancy

by Lukebart02 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:35 am

I’m super nervous for my first dormancy because I don’t know what to do with my plants. I live in ohio and I know to let them stay outside until the first major frosts have passed but I don’t know what to do after that since our weather is so crazy and tends to fluctuate.I’m super scared to keep it outside in case it gets too cold or thaws then freezes...I have 2 sarrecenia hybrids and 4 Venus flytraps which the sarrs and 1 flytrap are in one big pot while the 2 big flytraps are each in a 6 inch deep pot and my small ones are in a small pot. Any input would be amazing!!

User Avatar
PeachHawk

 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:07 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: What is Dormancy

by PeachHawk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:29 pm

This is so helpful, I love this site!

Previous

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests