FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I've spent a few hours the last couple of days replating/subculturing flytrap cultures onto "grow out" media. Most of the jars are so full that it's hard to get the tissue out of them (because of the taper at the top of the jar)! I still have a few more to go before I'll be through most of what I need to do. Take a look at what I've been dealing with:
Red Seedling culture ready for replate
Red Seedling culture ready for replate
red_seedling_flask_chock_full1.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Another example...there were nearly 100 more jars just  like this!
Another example...there were nearly 100 more jars just like this!
another_red_seedling_flask_chock_full.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
I had dozens of jars of B52, Vigorous, Pink Venus, FTS Crimson Sawtooth, FTS Dente and a few others that looked like this. It's time consuming and tedious to pull out that ball of tissue, pull it apart and then replate all of the divisions, but I'm almost through them all now and Steve and I will have lots of new plants to grow out in a couple of months :)
By Xeno
Hi there Matt pretty cool pics but now I see some more bad stuff about babyfoodjars when it get like that :p hehe.. Was it just one smaller vft inside there at the start, and what is the time frame for it? hehe one last question do you use 0,5ml Kinetin in there ?
By goldslinger
Hahaha ! :lol:

Where's the media?
It appears they've gotten all the 'goodie' they are gonna get out of that jar!

That is very cool, Matt. Final grow out stage has to be the most exciting. I accidentally had the foresight to order Phytotech C-583 glass vessels I'm gonna use for the grow out. I only have 100 of them, though. Should be enough for Me.

Have fun!

Gary
By Matt
manzano167 wrote:wow looks tough and doing the divisions must be really fragile good luck!!
Thanks John! It's somewhat fragile, but it's more time consuming than anything.
Xeno wrote:Was it just one smaller vft inside there at the start, and what is the time frame for it? hehe one last question do you use 0,5ml Kinetin in there ?
I honestly can't remember what the jars looked like when I started them, but I'm sure that I had more than one VFT in them. It was likely 3 to 4 of them. The jars in the photos are on 1mg/L of BAP, but I didn't see much of a difference between any of the medias that I was experimenting with, which were 1mg/L BAP, 1mg/L Kinetin and 0.5mg/L Kinetin.
goldslinger wrote:Where's the media?
It appears they've gotten all the 'goodie' they are gonna get out of that jar!
Yeah man, the gobbled it up!
goldslinger wrote:I accidentally had the foresight to order Phytotech C-583 glass vessels I'm gonna use for the grow out. I only have 100 of them, though. Should be enough for Me.
Hah, I like the way you phrased that Gary. I'm cheap, so I just stick with the baby food jars all the way through. Occasionally I'll use mason jars (along with some caps from Phytotech...which I can't remember the product number of) for growing out when I'm low on baby food jars and those work pretty well. But in terms of conserving space the baby food jars usually win out, so I stick with them.
By mfdes
Hi Matt,

I'm interested to see that they didn't start to decline in health too much with age. What medium were you using, plain MS? At what concentration?

Thanks!
By Matt
Multiclone wrote:I know the feeling Matt at least you know you are doing something right.
So true Geoff. I'd rather have to deal with more Dionaea than I can handle than have to try to figure out why I can't propagate them.
mfdes wrote:What medium were you using, plain MS? At what concentration?
For all things Dionaea, I always use 50%, even when initializing tissue and seeds.
By hackerberry
Been there Matt, let me tell you that I know how you feel. You will get through it though. At least you've got tons of plants! Don't forget my B52 flask! I will PM you.

hb
By Matt
hackerberry wrote:Don't forget my B52 flask! I will PM you.
I've been deflasking plants like crazy and putting most of the cultures onto grow out media, but I've set aside a Red Piranha and a B52 culture on multiplication media for you Jun because we've talked about them in the past :)
By hackerberry
That is just awesome! Calgary is having a crazy weather the past few weeks so I would kindly ask to hold the beauties for me. Thanks so much Matt! I have something for you too but I am still multiplying them. Not TC but this is a hard to find collector's item.

hb
By Matt
hackerberry wrote:That is just awesome! Calgary is having a crazy weather the past few weeks so I would kindly ask to hold the beauties for me. Thanks so much Matt!
Not a problem Jun!
hackerberry wrote:I have something for you too but I am still multiplying them. Not TC but this is a hard to find collector's item.
Oooh, now you've got me excited!
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:I'd rather have to deal with more Dionaea than I can handle than have to try to figure out why I can't propagate them.
That's a good point, despite my anxiety about how I'm going to accommodate the many babies you're going to send my way. :)
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!