FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By goldslinger
Culture rack getting fuller.

Master Collection or what I like to call 'Torture Chamber'

These are the B-52 cultures started by 2 leaf sections and 3 flower stalks after 2 months from callous.

Flower stalks initiating; hopefully

Contamination Clinic; I'm happy to say these have been in remission for about 1 week now from mold; the Ones that were too severe, got planted (but not in the Dead way).

Burbanks best before pic from a couple months ago give or take

Burbanks best now; it struck from both ends, waited until good growth, then split the stalk again. Maybe strike on distal end again?

Royal Red with attitude as shown by his finger. Forming a flower stalk after striking on a flower stalk; weird.

Remember McCracken? A single seed hopped up on Kinetin? This is before

After a stint on plain media, She's thrown up clones everywhere. These jars are McCracken.

Dente pre-callous

Capensis getting 'tator' legs

This is the Ping replated on Phytotech's multiplying media and it is taking off!

Well, that's all I got for now. Hope You have enjoyed in what I'm sure You are a big part of.

Thanks,
Gary
By Xeno
Nice very nice Gary you have come a long way :p what media you use for vff explants ? Are you doing many vff explant jarrs and soem strike or less with good strike % ? I just ask because I got so many just sitting in the media without forming callus..
By goldslinger
Thanks, English Springer!

Xeno wrote:Nice very nice Gary you have come a long way :p what media you use for vff explants ? Are you doing many vff explant jarrs and soem strike or less with good strike % ? I just ask because I got so many just sitting in the media without forming callus..

Xeno,

I, too get some leaf sections that just sit and sit no matter what media they are on. The ones that strike can strike on just about anything from plain all the way up to 3mg/Liter kinetin, I'm told. I replate every 3 weeks when I'm trying to get a leaf to strike, and always replate on the same or milder when it comes to PGR'S. Sometimes, replating kinda jump starts the callous process, if it's just sitting there for 4 weeks or more.

If You are referring to the multicolored media in the pics, the blue are Phytotech's multiplying media; am giving that a try remembering that Hackerberry really liking it, the pink is 1ml/Liter Kinetin, and the Yellow is just .5

The flower stalks are mostly on the yellow as I want the large callouses that have formed to grow out. I have some fresh stalks on the pink, and the b-52's are mostly on the blue now for rapid multiplication.

Eventually I'll settle into a happy medium for initiation and multiplication as simple is always best. The only media that will be different will be the grow out media with little or no hormone and less sugar. The only reason to color code at that point is so I know at a glance which cultures are sitting on the oldest media and may need changed.

Gary
By cplover
Hi Gary!

What is your sterilization method with VFT leaf?

My sterilization method:
-rinse under running water 3 min.
-H2O2 3% for 6 min
-Sterile water for 5 min
-NaDCC 1g/l for 160 min

after 3 days all contamination.

Please help!
By Milhaus
I really dont know, this depend upon age of the leaf and number of bacteria living on the leaves.This must be tested.But always add surfuctant to the solution or use surfuctant ( soap, ethanol ) before sterilization procedure.
By cplover
I just start with small leaf (S size), because now I just have some small explant.

I will test more, can you share your experience of VFL leaf sterilization?
By Veronis
Nicely done Gary. Impressive setup and specimens.

Torture chamber, contamination clinic...already being referred to as "mad scientist"...I'm just wondering - when you take over the world, can I be on your team? :D
Veronis liked this
By goldslinger
Thanks, everyone.
cplover wrote:What is your sterilization method with VFT leaf?
I'm still using the PAA method but am experimenting so hesitant to say anything that might be taken as Gospel.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!